yet another ? about 33s (need trimming pics) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

yet another ? about 33s (need trimming pics)

I've looked throught the stickied thread and others but didn't see anything quite like what I want to know.

I have 2" Skyjacker lift coils in the front and Warrior shackles and Pro Comps AALs in the rear, so about 2-2.5" all around.

How much trimming would I have to do to fit 33s (33x12.50x15)? I would like to use a 15x10 wheel with 3.5"-3.75" backspacing. But, I'm on a budget and would use 15x8 wheels if I found a good deal used. I was going to go with 32x11.50s on my stock wheels and trim a little, but deals on good used 33s come up a lot more often.

If anyone has any pics of trimming, I'd like to see them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ive got a 3inch body lift and I am running 33x12.50 BFG AT's on factory 15x7 wheels and rub the swaybar and a little bit of the inside of the fender..Id go with 32x11.50s with 2.5" of lift..but thats just my opinion

why not body lift too and then youd clear i imagine...

how long have you had the skyjacker coils in?

Mine starting sagging down a bit after a week or two, so it really only came to about 1.75"-2" in the front.

I would throw some coil spacers under the coils and run 32x11.5's on a 15x8 wheel.

tgertz77 said:
how long have you had the skyjacker coils in?

Mine starting sagging down a bit after a week or two, so it really only came to about 1.75"-2" in the front.

I would throw some coil spacers under the coils and run 32x11.5's on a 15x8 wheel.

Bad idea...won't be able to get the camber right. I'm running 32x11.50's with 2" spacers, on 15x8 rims with 3.75" backspacing and they only rub a little of the plastic inner fender at full lock. I wouldn't go any bigger than that.

'93 xlt 4" Skyjacker Class II lift and custom DayStar Body lift. I'm running 33x12.5x15 BFG AT KOs on American Racing type 23 rims 15x10 with 3.75BS. I had to trim 2"+ of sheet metal behind the front tires in order to clear them...
18205Cape_2005.jpg

I want to hold off on a body lift for a while. DeRocha, I would think you had to trim more because of the wider wheel and 3.75" BS. If you have any shots of the area you trimmed I'd like to see them, though.

tgertz, I haven't noticed any sag in the springs yet. I've had them in since October.

SVO42 said:
...DeRocha, I would think you had to trim more because of the wider wheel and 3.75" BS. If you have any shots of the area you trimmed I'd like to see them, though.
Absolutely true, I did lots of reseach before getting my tire & wheel combo.. One thing I discovered was that a 33 x 12.5 x 15 tire will only be 11.6" wide when mounted on an 8" rim vs 12.4" for a 10" rim.. As you can see in the pic below an 8" rim with 3.75"BS fits the original tire profile more closely (and is why many people recommend it) as compared to the 10" rim. On the flip side a 10" rim better fits the tire and is recommend by the tire manufacture. I'll see if I can get some pics tomorrow...
18205Tires2.jpg

SVO42 said:
How much trimming would I have to do to fit 33s (33x12.50x15)?

If anyone has any pics of trimming, I'd like to see them.

Before anything but adding a rough tape line
20122fender_trim_001.jpg

Bending and cutting the pinch weld behind the liner to free up room to move the liner back a bit
20122fender_trim_002.jpg

Cuts on the three corners of the "bend area" prior to bending out the factory bend and adding my own an inch and a half back.
20122fender_trim_008.jpg

All done
20122fender_trim_013.jpg

You will find this whole process better laid out in my Elite Registry, as well as a few more pics. I believe it is toward the middle of page 2, but the Table of Contents on the front page can direct you.

Back