35x12.5x15 but 15x8 or 15x10? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

35x12.5x15 but 15x8 or 15x10?

Alright i got a 97 sport. going TT/War153 with a 3" PA BL.

SVO told me about how sports can run a 35x12.5 with minor trimming using the this setup because of the sports bigger fenders...

now my question.

15x8= what back spacing? 4 or 3.75?

15x10= what spacing? 3.50? 3.75?

Im leaning towards 15x8... but i need to figure out what backspacing to run...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

15x10 with 3.75" backspacing

15x8 will wear out the middle of your tires and you wont be able to air them up fully

15x8 some people like because they protect the rim a bit more

both will work
I prefer the 15x10

...You can also find some useful information in the "How To" found in my signature..;)

15x10 with 3.75" backspacing

15x8 will wear out the middle of your tires and you wont be able to air them up fully

15x8 some people like because they protect the rim a bit more, both will work

im plan to run the tires at like 35psi on the street just to keep the preasures up...will that still wear them out in the middle on a 15x10?

...You can also find some useful information in the "How To" found in my signature..;)

there in lies the flaw....i searched...but it doesnt take me right to the exact post where the info is posted...it just tells me

"oh hey. its in this thread somewhere...but its 60 pages long...good luck!":(

i figured id ask to find some of the hardcore explorer guys who've been around the block who can clear this up quickly.:D

...I was going to say something but, :shifty_ey I will leave it up to the hard core guys...I'll take the easy way too..;)

...I was going to say something but, :shifty_ey I will leave it up to the hard core guys...;)

lol u knew what i meant. people who know alot :D:p:

help me out. im ready to pull the trigger on 35x12.5x15 but need to figure out what size backspacing to run on a 15x8 or 15x10...whichever one will let me do the least trimming...:confused:

...Ok, I'll give you a hint...Not all tires are created equally when it comes to size...The tire can be taller, shorter, wider, narrower than call out size...The tire compound and tread also play a factor in how the stand and act while driving...

...You have not made a mention of what tires you are going to be installing on these wheels although I am guessing that will be your next question...:scratch:

...Thats all I can say from what information you have posted so far...:dunno:...Reading up on the items in that link will help better educate you in making your decision for tires and wheels...

...There are several sports and navajo's also to be found in that link with various tire and wheel options...

...Ok, I'll give you a hint...Not all tires are created equally when it comes to size...The tire can be taller, shorter, wider, narrower than call out size...The tire compound and tread also play a factor in how the stand and act while driving...

...You have not made a mention of what tires you are going to be installing on these wheels although I am guessing that will be your next question...:scratch:

...Thats all I can say from what information you have posted so far...:dunno:...Reading up on the items in that link will help better educate you in making your decision for tires and wheels...

...There are several sports and navajo's also to be found in that link with various tire and wheel options...

bfg muds :D

Quickly:

For better looks (IMO) and less chance of losing a bead if and when you air down the tire to wheel, go with 15x8 with 3.75" backspacing.

Go.

^What he said^

Got them yet??

^^^...and there you have it...:D

...It say's pretty much that same thing at the very beginning of that link...lol...

lol. Let me know how those 35's fit with only a body lift. I think you'll rub just driving around on the street, let alone off road. May be okay if it's strictly a grocery getter.
A 15x10" wheel will push the tire out further, making the tire move forward and back in the wheel well more when you turn, causing more rubbing.
I'm assuming you're only running 3.55 gears on that, too? Even with 3.73's it's going to be miserable. Good luck.
I would go with a 33x12.50's on 15x8, max.

He's also doing the TT and Shackles which will give him plenty of lift as shown on Doug's not so street driven '97 Sport. Not to mention GJarret's also got 35s with the same amount of lift.

...Doug's thread answers all those question's, especially on page 2...Nice find..:biggthump

8s all the way, 8" is plenty wide for 12.50s, holds the bead better too.

ordered 35x12.5x15 and 15x18 3.75BS.

and to brian. i have the same attitude as doug...i just plain dont care if it rubs...lol

im also deploying to afghanistan in march 09...so ill have money out the butthole to put new 4.56's in it when i get back... ;)

so what if i wont be able to use 5th gear on the hwy at all....LOL

just want to get the truck fitted for the tires b4 i leave...

I run my 35x12.50s on 15x8s at 32 PSI (street pressure) and have had no issues whatsoever with the centers wearing out prematurely. I s'pose if you never rotate your tires at the proper interval you could run into that issue on the rears mainly, although cupping of the treads up front will generally be the bigger issue if you don't rotate (this will occur on any size rim).

You should be fine with the 15x8s :thumbsup:

Yeah 12.50's might wear the center down slightly sooner than the outside on an 8" wheel, but hardly noticeable, especially if you don't over-inflate them.
If you don't care that they rub then they will work fine ;)
I see a lot of people on other forums making crazy statements about what tires fit stock vehicles, only to later admit that they rub all over when they turn into a driveway or never take their truck off road.

I was mostly giving you a heads up about the gears. My ranger was a 4.0L 5spd and had 3.73's with 33x12.50's. It worked, but it was a dog. Anything off-road was 4x4 low and it got old set up that way. Sounds like you'll only be driving it a while before you head out though anyway.

Keep an eye on the forums when you're gone, if you can, for complete used front differentials. You can save a ton of money if you can get a hold of a differential already loaded with gears, and can swap it out yourself in a few hours.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah 12.50's might wear the center down slightly sooner than the outside on an 8" wheel, but hardly noticeable, especially if you don't over-inflate them.
If you don't care that they rub then they will work fine ;)
I see a lot of people on other forums making crazy statements about what tires fit stock vehicles, only to later admit that they rub all over when they turn into a driveway or never take their truck off road.

I was mostly giving you a heads up about the gears. My ranger was a 4.0L 5spd and had 3.73's with 33x12.50's. It worked, but it was a dog. Anything off-road was 4x4 low and it got old set up that way. Sounds like you'll only be driving it a while before you head out though anyway.

Keep an eye on the forums when you're gone, if you can, for complete used front differentials. You can save a ton of money if you can get a hold of a differential already loaded with gears, and can swap it out yourself in a few hours.

will do :)

Back