got a ticket: "exhibition of speed" | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

got a ticket: "exhibition of speed"

thanks a lot guys for ALL the replies and opinions. I am choosing to first extend my court appearance day for an extra 60 days (allowing time for the officer to forget the incident and its details). Next I plan to choose to "trial by written declaration" This will not only save me time, but the cop doesnt get paid to support his side (unlike real court). Hopefully the officer wont respond and the case is dismissed. If he does respond and i am found guilty I can request a trial court (the real deal). At that point, again, if the cop does not show, i am off the hook. If he does show and I am found guilty w/o a reduced fine or nothing...THEN THAT'S BULL. I'll keep everyone updated.

Glacier991 said:
"Exhibition of speed" is, in my humble attorney's mind ( I'm a practicing attorney in CA) unconstitutionally vague.

I wondered this too as I was reading the vehicle code. Should I bring up the constitutional right of Substantive Due Process (in addition to my other reasons) to show that the law does not specify which actions fall under the category of "exhibition of speed"

many have stated that I should blame this on the lockers and diff. Can someone explain this and their functions more in depth so I know what im talking about when im in trial. I am gona use that and the gravel and weight of the car as additional excuses.

Again...Thank you all soo much.

BTW: CA laws suck. If you look at a cop funny they arrest you for suspicion murder.

I would explain that you have an Explorer and it is impossible to spin the tires. "It must have been somebody else, sir."

y3kbuddy said:
Can someone explain this and their functions more in depth so I know what im talking about when im in trial. I am gona use that and the gravel and weight of the car as additional excuses.
BTW: CA laws suck. If you look at a cop funny they arrest you for suspicion murder.
An Open differential allows the passenger and driver side tires to rotate at different speeds...When taking a right turn the drivers tire rotates faster than the passenger side throughout the turn. Taking a left turn would mean the right side tire would rotate faster than the left.

A locked diff means the drivers and passenger side tires rotate at the same speed (they are locked). As such if you were taking a right turn when "locked" the tires would both rotate @ the same speed. This would cause the tires to chirp when turning. The chirping noise is from a tire breaking free from the pavement to relieve the built up stress within the axle. Most lockers use some mechanical clutch pack to sense when the vehicle is turning and allow the axles to rotate at different speeds. If you give a locker to mush acceleration when cornering it will re-lock the axle... A locked axle is not really a good thing when cornering as it tends to Plow the vehicle and cause steering control issues. An Air locker is the best of both worlds. It acts like an open diff, but with a pushes of a button the diff is locked.

Back