New Ford/Explorer Owner 2022 Timberline | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Ford/Explorer Owner 2022 Timberline

BSimp25

Reaction score
City, State
Sherwood, Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2022 Explorer Timberline
Hello to the community. Unfortunately, I have owned my 2022 Explorer Timberline for a little over 2 months and with less than 24k miles on the vehicle, I am having issues. First Ford ever owned and this is my experience. After conducting some research I have figured out that the rear driver-side strut is bad and needs to be replaced. I have scoured YouTube looking for an overview or how-to to change the strut and I couldn't find anything for the '22. My question to the community is, Is there a model Explorer that I can refer to when looking for instructional procedures? Example being, could I look at how to change the struts on an XLT and the steps be the same for my Timberline? Also, do we have a honey-hole that we go to get parts or are we stuck getting parts from Ford? I appreciate any help and incite from you guys.

I don't find a video to change a rear shock. And I don't think there are any after market available, I would suggest using Benny at Levittown Ford. He is a member here and gives a discount to members. Levittown Ford Parts

Hello to the community. Unfortunately, I have owned my 2022 Explorer Timberline for a little over 2 months and with less than 24k miles on the vehicle, I am having issues. First Ford ever owned and this is my experience. After conducting some research I have figured out that the rear driver-side strut is bad and needs to be replaced. I have scoured YouTube looking for an overview or how-to to change the strut and I couldn't find anything for the '22. My question to the community is, Is there a model Explorer that I can refer to when looking for instructional procedures? Example being, could I look at how to change the struts on an XLT and the steps be the same for my Timberline? Also, do we have a honey-hole that we go to get parts or are we stuck getting parts from Ford? I appreciate any help and incite from you guys.

You should be good with instructions for the XLT or ST. The valving in the struts is different, but they all mount the same.

Don't think there is any installation difference between the Timberline and other trim levels on the rear shocks.

Just did the rears on my XLT this weekend. Passenger rear was leaking at 44,000 miles. Three bolts, all 18mm. Two on top, one on the bottom. You are supposed to get new hardware when replacing as well. (A nut on the bottom and two bolts on top). Reality is most non Ford shops reuse those. You will need to push the bushing down a bit on one side to get it to slide into place. No alignment required - the rears are shock only - not a strut.

They are installed with some red loctite - the impact gun made short work of getting them off.

I ordered mine from Rockauto - they were lower on price than my other usual motorcraft parts supplies... Rockauto only listed one aftermarket part and I have not seen any other options availible.

Back