PTU vs PTO?

richey

Reaction score
City, State
Eagle River, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 PIU
2017 PIU
Can anyone clarify if there is a difference between PTU (power transfer unit) and PTO (power take off). I had only heard of PTO in the context of an auxiliary power source for mechanical winches and machinery on large trucks. I am aware that the PIU has a PTU which is essentially the transfer case to the rear.

The reason I ask is because when shopping for PIU radiators I am seeing options for PTO and the price difference is big between the two. Here is the Rockauto link, although I'm not going to go through rockauto.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My guess is these are differentiating 2wd vs 4wd. I know the 4wd radiators were thicker for some years.

I’m thinking it’s just wrong wording. All the PIUs that I’ve worked on from 2012-2019 had PTU’s.

I’m thinking it’s just wrong wording. All the PIUs that I’ve worked on from 2012-2019 had PTU’s.
Thats what I am thinking, just wanted to make sure there was not some PTO winch or plow option I was not aware of.

Thats what I am thinking, just wanted to make sure there was not some PTO winch or plow option I was not aware of.
Definitely no plow option.

There's something about a plow in Forscan.
There’s probably also a hundred other things that don’t apply to the Explorer.

Update: Called the dealer and PTO refers to the PTU. So AWD/4WD is considered with PTO.

Back