Safety Recall 22S27 | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Safety Recall 22S27

In a way yes, but the bushing as you can see is not there...there are different part numbers for the sub frames. If you want the 2 bolt rear sub you have to order that part. Can not just throw in a bolt. The 2.3L we likely suffer no downside from this...even towing. It is the 415Ft Torque causing a twist and over time is breaking the bolt. The 3.0L has over 100 more FT Torque than the 2.3L and is quicker at applying the power due to the nature of a V6 and the twin turbos.
Makes sense. Appreciate the really good explanation. 👍

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok. My VIN is not on the NHTSA site and shows invalid VIN on the Ford site maybe because I have not taken delivery or completed the purchase?

Rick
Most likely, or perhaps the issue has been corrected on your build.

Peter

My 2.3 L on my 2020 Limited is involved in the recall it’s also notated in oasis And Ford pass app
My 22 2.3L is still not showing and I'm definitely a one-bolter.

Here's my opinion that is worth nothing, so take it with a grain of salt. So anyways, we all know torque is the most beloved thing on earth, from a standstill to about 4500rpm to where the hp takes over. Talk to a Tesla owner that has max torque at 0rpm. True statement. Anyhow torque is amazing, that one bolt should be fine for most all 2.3L owners. The 3.0L owners should be concerned. From there where do we go? If Ford wants to throttle back the torque I have with my little tiny 2.3L engine??? That's not cool. If they want to throttle back the torque from the twin turbo 3.0 owners, I would be pissed beyond hell.....One bolt....think about it, just one bolt. I think about these things because I'm a 35 year commercial aircraft mechanic that always wants to keep those aircraft in the air safely at all times. And that's my job.

Here's my opinion that is worth nothing, so take it with a grain of salt. So anyways, we all know torque is the most beloved thing on earth, from a standstill to about 4500rpm to where the hp takes over. Talk to a Tesla owner that has max torque at 0rpm. True statement. Anyhow torque is amazing, that one bolt should be fine for most all 2.3L owners. The 3.0L owners should be concerned. From there where do we go? If Ford wants to throttle back the torque I have with my little tiny 2.3L engine??? That's not cool. If they want to throttle back the torque from the twin turbo 3.0 owners, I would be pissed beyond hell.....One bolt....think about it, just one bolt. I think about these things because I'm a 35 year commercial aircraft mechanic that always wants to keep those aircraft in the air safely at all times. And that's my job.
You as an A&P mechanic would definitely know about fatigue cracks and fractures in connectors and bolts. And when you sign off on repairs and such, you are liable for those repairs. But somehow, big bad Ford just says "oh, well" and maybe eventually addresses the issue. I sure wish these engineers who make these dumb decisions would have some punitive action taken against them specifically. They might think twice with taking shortcuts if they were personally liable. Even though supposedly my little 2.3L is not affected that much, it still bugs the crap out of me big time.

I don't see the 3.0L Platinum referenced in the remedy program attachment, what am I missing?
Does your Platinum automatically apply the parking brake when you shift into park?

Had anyone seen anything stating that the fix would include cutting torque or is it just conjecture at this point? I never thought of the automatic parking brake programming solution.

I noticed the earlier referenced remedy listed the 2.3 RWD not AWD.

Does your Platinum automatically apply the parking brake when you shift into park?
No it does not automatically apply the parking brake, mine was built Sept 2021

From what the manual says, it only applies the parking brake when you shift into Park on large slopes.

Peter

Most likely, or perhaps the issue has been corrected on your build.

Peter

My sister in law's which was built March 23rd is not part of the recall. She just took delivery on Saturday.

You as an A&P mechanic would definitely know about fatigue cracks and fractures in connectors and bolts. And when you sign off on repairs and such, you are liable for those repairs. But somehow, big bad Ford just says "oh, well" and maybe eventually addresses the issue. I sure wish these engineers who make these dumb decisions would have some punitive action taken against them specifically. They might think twice with taking shortcuts if they were personally liable. Even though supposedly my little 2.3L is not affected that much, it still bugs the crap out of me big time.
Guys, lets go a little easy on laying this at the feet of the engineers. Having been an engineer in heavy industry, it is likely not those folk who make the decision on the number or type of fasteners used to secure the suspension to the body. It is usually a combination of factors but primarially boils down to cost. Cost for the extra fasteners, cost for more metal needed to make the component, cost of additional machining time, cost of added labor time to install, etc, etc. Blame those that control the purse strings and attempt to get by at the lowest level of cost.

Guys, lets go a little easy on laying this at the feet of the engineers. Having been an engineer in heavy industry, it is likely not those folk who make the decision on the number or type of fasteners used to secure the suspension to the body. It is usually a combination of factors but primarially boils down to cost. Cost for the extra fasteners, cost for more metal needed to make the component, cost of additional machining time, cost of added labor time to install, etc, etc. Blame those that control the purse strings and attempt to get by at the lowest level of cost.
Spreadsheets and cost accounting will often lead to less than desired outcomes from the engineering point of view.

We have a 2020 Platinum, 3.0L Eco boost, 35k miles. Also getting invalid VIN on Ford recall page. No recall notice in the FordPass app. It has recently started making a whirring noise & vibration in the rear upon deceleration, getting louder over past 2 weeks. Can't wait till the wife gets home so I can look for the one or 2 bolts. Regardless, its going to the dealer.
VIN decode shows it was from Chicago plant.

Edit: We have the 2 bolts, whew

Makes sense. Appreciate the really good explanation. 👍
That certainly makes sense, so far it’s been challenging to determine what the fix will be from my dealer. I got under my 2021 XLT and observer one bolt in sub frame and two bolts in the front of axle housing into lower floor mounts. My subframe does have a pre drilled hole that aligns with the threaded female mount of axle where a bolt should have gone. Does the pre drilled hole without a bolt mean I have a two bolt subframe?

That certainly makes sense, so far it’s been challenging to determine what the fix will be from my dealer. I got under my 2021 XLT and observer one bolt in sub frame and two bolts in the front of axle housing into lower floor mounts. My subframe does have a pre drilled hole that aligns with the threaded female mount of axle where a bolt should have gone. Does the pre drilled hole without a bolt mean I have a two bolt subframe?
Do you have a one bolt

My subframe does have a pre drilled hole that aligns with the threaded female mount of axle where a bolt should have gone. Does the pre drilled hole without a bolt mean I have a two bolt subframe?
No. That hole is likely a guide for manufacturing to drill a much larger hole for the second rear differential mount in back. You cannot just put in a bolt through it. The "two bolt" subframe have two rear differential mount facing the back.

I posted a picture of the sub frame for the 2nd bolt. It's post #68

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I ran my VIN (2020 ST) on the Ford recall site and it isn't part of the program. Also checked my brother in laws 2022 XLT that was built a month ago and is being delivered this Saturday and it's also not part of the recall. So not every Explorer is part of this.
Yes. I checked my 21 XLT on the NHSA website and mine is not listed.

Back