• Register Today It's free!

04 Explorer XLT PCM switch out

Jeremy Lontz

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, in
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004, Explorer XLT
Hows it going everyone. I am new to the forum. I currently own a 2004 ford Explorer XLT 4.0L. A couple months ago my car wouldn't start, I jumped it and put a battery pack to it but still nothing. After noticing my anti-theft light continuing to blink very fast. I looked up issues to this and I concluded it was either PCM or something electronical. For that I sent my truck off to the dealer. They came back with a price of $1500 for part and labor to replace the PCM. I assumed that to be insanely high based on pricing I could find for the part. I still have both original keys and both lock and unlock/theft fobs that are separate.

So I guess in conclusion my question is this. If i locate a part that matches with the part number online. Would I basically receive the part, place it in, tow it back to the dealer and have them flash it? Before spending the money I want to check with someone who may be a little more mechanically inclined.

Also I see PCM's that send uncut keys. With me still having two original keys. Would it make more sense to just buy the one without keys and have my keys programmed to the PCM.

Sorry I am very much a novice when it comes to fixing anything on my car.

Thank you for any help you can give!! Have a great day!

Back