Blueka's "Pickle" Registry.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blueka's "Pickle" Registry....

Since 2005 when I bought "Betty", my UK Explorer, I've wanted a sport...

well, now that I live in Canada, the chance has presented itself for me to get one...

This one.... it's a 99 sport, 4.0 SOHC... it's a total write off for the moment... but when I saw the advert on Kijiji I couldn't say no. It needed some love and I wanted a project to get stuck into, so I did my research and found out how much parts are gonna cost me etc etc.

So. I present.. Pickle.. (cos it's green and in a right mess)

Si
Explorer vin x.jpg
Explorer vin E 2.jpg
Explorer vin E.jpg
Explorer vin E 1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

its a good start. besides a hood, windshield and side glass, what else dose it need? hell, if i had known you were still looking for a sport, i could have got you one about 3 weeks ago for $2300. and it had only 170k's!

it's got a spare side window... just needs a hood and windshield... the engine needs a rebuild and it all needs putting back together, body integrity test and general safety... but I'm in no rush to do it, it was only $600 plus $100 to deliver.. so I can rebuild at me leisure and be a happy little bunny... haha

Si

Man that would be one fun as hell project, and good find for 600$ :thumbsup:

Id love to do that in the future when I have a full time job and MY own garage lmao.

Im jealous you have the front bumper and tailgate I want LOL

Your right it is a project :D

good luck with it

when it is done you are going to have a heck of a time driving it though, all the controls are on the wrong side,, better bring it over here, i can drive it on that side, ,

nice find, and hope it comes out as great as Betty did,

Welcome 2nd Gen Sport owner!

When I started looking for a 2 door mid-size SUV to replace my full-size Tahoe I considered everything that was available (Cherokee, Blazer, Explorer, etc.). The only vehicle I fit comfortably in that I liked the looks of was the 1995-2000 Explorer Sport. Then I found out what exterior colors were available and picked the one I liked best (Toreador Red) and started searching for one to buy. It only took me a couple months to find one within 200 miles.

I know that you will enjoy your Sport as much as me. Welcome to the club!

well... the day finally came and Pickle got delivered this afternoon... first thing I did was to fix the broken side window...

Now I've gotta clean it out and get to work...

28022010195.jpg

28022010196.jpg

28022010197.jpg

28022010198.jpg

28022010199.jpg

28022010201.jpg

28022010202.jpg

28022010203.jpg

28022010204.jpg

28022010205.jpg

28022010206.jpg

28022010207.jpg

28022010208.jpg

Si

OH yea she needs a little TLC but I can already picture that being a NICE explorer when your finished man, is that an extra engine in the rear or is that the stock bad engine?

There's one of each engine... SOHC and OHV... just found out that it originally ran the OHV, but it'll be running the SOHC when I'm done...

Si

hmm Si, so the ohv was the motor that came in it. interesting,

yeah... so I'm guessing it won't have 4.10 gears... but I'll check tomorrow when I get it in the shop... I just need to pick up the ECU and the tranny.... I think that's all I need apart from the hood and windshield...

Si

Si Is the sport- rear wheel drive mate.....just wondered why the engine was in the back? Lol
Good luck with the project mate, looks like a lotta fun!

Si Is the sport- rear wheel drive mate.....just wondered why the engine was in the back? Lol
Good luck with the project mate, looks like a lotta fun!

There is an ohv on the left which is what what in the sport originally, and a sohc on the right which is what he's going to put in it.

Lol.. Yeah, it's a twin, mid engined beastie.... it's 4x4 and it's gonna be the SOHC engine going in. I've spent all day cleaning it out and there's gonna be more pictures to follow shortly....

Si

Whats the story on the SOHC? Ya gonna tear it down for a rebuild?
Cant wait to see whats inside of that. :)

Nice buy on pickle! Can't wait to see how this project goes, I liked my 1st gen sports.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Whats the story on the SOHC? Ya gonna tear it down for a rebuild?
Cant wait to see whats inside of that. :)

It apparently has at least one snapped chain.. was gonna get it on the engine stand tonight, but the bolts are too short... so gotta get new ones in the morning.

Spent all day cleaning it out, putting the interior back together and getting rid of all the broken glass... also found out that it has 4.10 gears with a limited slip diff... so I'm happy again... also managed to get the dents out of the roof....

So... picture time...

finally got it in the shop...
01032010211.jpg

This is the engine that is eventually going in after a rebuild....
01032010212.jpg

01032010213.jpg

Starting to look a little less crowded in the back
01032010214.jpg

Interior
01032010217.jpg

01032010219.jpg

01032010221.jpg

Dash re-assembled
01032010223.jpg

Carpet before cleaning
01032010225.jpg