Blacksheep Josh's "Thunder" Registry | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blacksheep Josh's "Thunder" Registry

What is it?
-1993 Ford Explorer XLT
-Automatic Transmission
-Highly unmodified 4.0L OHV Engine

Well, now that I have a substantial amount of money in my account (School Loan) I've decided to do what I've been saying I'll do for month's now which is to join the Elite Explorer's. I've learned much from just reading this site, and as many of you can guess I can now offer opinions and possible solutions to problems, all thanks to Explorer Forum. Before this site the thing I knew how to do on a car was check the tire pressure... Now, I can pretty much do anything that only requires handtools (air tools are coming!!).

I've decided to give my Explorer a name, hence the "Thunder" registry. I picked Thunder because when all is said and finished my Explorer will be hard to see at night, but it will be heard from far. Hence "Thunder". You can hear it, but you can't see it.

I'm mainly building up my Explorer as a dependable daily driver, yet a "show-truck", something that one day I will be proud to show off and drive around. It won't look normal, but it won't look completely off the wall.

I've already installed a Flowmaster 40 Series on it, I like it, but I wished it was louder, so I'm going to install a dual out muffler and run wider piping. I also have the 5.0 MAF running with a Cone Air Filter.

Next modification: PAINT!!! I used Wal-Mart/Rustoleum Flat Black on it, it came out all right, but not the level I want it. I'm going to be using the Maaco in Savannah to paint it flat black. I'm not looking for the BEST job, but I want uniform color, with mine I have high and low spots and lots of spotting.

Stay tuned!!

August 30/31 Update: I have running boards installed now. They are from the Limited Edition/Eddie Bauer, they are the custom molded and they bolt on. Pictures soon to follow. I like them, only problem is I've been tripping on them getting out. Next part I need is the bumper valence from the Limited Editions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

other than that keep up the good work! oh and have fun trying to find a 91-94 limited bumper cover, i tried for a year and a half and the only ones i found were warped beyond repair.

Thanks. Yeah, there's a pull-a-part in Augusta, and last year I saw one but didn't have the money... I'm hoping this Summer one will come in I may be able to use, that's my main worry though, is it being warped/bent.

As for the color, I'm slowly sanding it below the rattle can paint, and using black primer to redo it. When the time comes, if I ever decide to actually paint it it'll at least be semi-ready, but until then the spray primer will be enough.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Well I got a really nice refund check today from school, yay!

My goal for the weekend is going to be fixing the front brake/wheel bearing issues at the minimum. Also going to go out to the junkyard and look for the bumper I've been wanting, and see about POSSIBLY grabbing a disc brake rear axle off of a second generation Explorer.

Should be a good weekend!!!

Oh yeah, also going to sand down most of the Explorer and primer it up if it's not raining and warm enough.

where are the pictures???

Well a lot of plans have been put on hold.... mainly because I was off at school with no where to work on my Explorer except for emergency repairs... I was also in talks with my Father for me to get into a newer car with better gas mileages for the Georgia-Virginia trips to visit with family... Well since then the talks with my Father have gone down hill and I'm stuck with the Explorer... so the plans are back on.. I figure if I have to stay with an old beatup Explorer, I'm going to make it into the most badass old beatup explorer I can.

Currently exploring (liked that didn't ya lol) 31" tires, bigger exhaust and new paint.

So... latest thing I've done was put in a 12" Kicker DVC 4-OHM with a Rockford Fosgate 700s. Not finished, still got work to do on the box, but it's pounding none the less. Not sure if I want to fiberglass over the wood or carpet it yet... but when I add another sub I'll change it entirely.
2m6joyf.jpg

NEW EXHAUST!!!
I had my old exhaust (Flowmaster 40 series muffler, 2" piping from cat back) modified...
About 6 inches after the muffler which is under the rear passenger door, I've had the tail pipe cut and removed, and a turndown installed about 6" before the axle. It has a lot more volume, the lower end sounds a lot beefier and in high rpm's it sounds BEASTLY!!

I'm thinking it helped my acceleration a little bit... when I get to about 3,500rpms it feels a little more peppier. Could this be accurate?

NEW EXHAUST!!!
I had my old exhaust (Flowmaster 40 series muffler, 2" piping from cat back) modified...
About 6 inches after the muffler which is under the rear passenger door, I've had the tail pipe cut and removed, and a turndown installed about 6" before the axle. It has a lot more volume, the lower end sounds a lot beefier and in high rpm's it sounds BEASTLY!!

I'm thinking it helped my acceleration a little bit... when I get to about 3,500rpms it feels a little more peppier. Could this be accurate?

i don't know about that... but then again you have the 2 inch piping so that may do something. but from what i've been able to understand it seems as if the 4.0 both OHV and SOHC love the back pressure. when i had my super 40 dumped before the axle it ran like a dog, but then again i had 2 2.5 down turns. so i had a huge loss in back pressure. and it wasn't remedied until i had 2 inch duals run.

with that being said, i'm not sure how much back pressure you have with the 2 inch pipe. but if you like how it sounds and the drone won't kill you, then congrats on the new setup and i hope you enjoy. and post a sound clip.

That's what I was thinking to... I figured if I had 2.25-2.5" piping I'd probably struggle more, but because it's 2" piping it's probably not as bad as it can be... the drone isn't to bad on the highway, but you can definitely hear it. The reason it doesn't bother me is that big 12" Kicker CVR I have, lol, kinda blows away any sound/vibration there is.

Well... I installed something else last night... Advance Auto had them on sale so I figured why not. I don't go offroading, and eventually I'd like to go to a show and display it.. I like them. The cops don't :)

Pictures of exhaust for those interested...

About 1' after the cats is where they cut the pipe and welded on new.
29oh6i8.jpg

Flowmaster 40 Series (originally led to tail pipe exited out the back
29ntsp0.jpg

Turndown (installed about 3 weeks ago or so)
308wq9u.jpg

I might go back with a grinder and grind the turndown some so instead of the opening being angled to the ground, it'll be parallel with the ground.

Pictures of exhaust for those interested...

About 1' after the cats is where they cut the pipe and welded on new.
29oh6i8.jpg

Flowmaster 40 Series (originally led to tail pipe exited out the back
29ntsp0.jpg

Turndown (installed about 3 weeks ago or so)
308wq9u.jpg

I might go back with a grinder and grind the turndown some so instead of the opening being angled to the ground, it'll be parallel with the ground.

Looks good but wondering about the drone also.

Not enough that's it's bothered me at all.

I also have one 12" Kicker CVR going pretty loud most times to so that covers it.

But as for a drone, there really isn't one... at all... if you get aggressive with it you can hear it, but the "growl" is more prevelant now between the 700-1300 rpm range compared to the 1800-2200 range when I had the tail pipe.

When it's idling though, this thing is BEAST. I'll see if I can get a video with my new digital camera and see how good the audio quality is. Only thing I would change now is replacing the cats with either straight pipe or a high flow. But that's nothing that'll be done anytime soon.

Looks good but I'd leave that turndown the way it is. I would think with it parallel to the ground you'll get a lot of noise/echo off of the ground which might be a little annoying. Unless that's what you want? :)

Just more volume lol. If I don't like it I can always just make another cut so it's kinda back to how it was.

Just more volume lol. If I don't like it I can always just make another cut so it's kinda back to how it was.

Ha, I edited my original comment there. I thought it was a silly observation. :rolleyes:

Dash electrical fire.
Had wired in a switch to control some fog lights, have worked flawlessly for over a year. Guess the switch finally went, flipped it on and nothing. Switch started smoking, the wire ate up some serious current (switch was wired to relay), plastic sheathing around wire melted and smoked up all the way to where it was wired into the fusebox where it sparked and the entire thing started to go. Turned off key and it calmed down, still had to use my powerade to put out a small flame on the fusebox...

Currently I'm without radio, amp, blinkers, power windows/locks and dash lights.

Deciding what to do. Grandparents are looking for a Ext. Cab ranger for me to drive, but I'll keep the X, gut it, make a custom dash and convert it into my first 4x4.

It sucks but I just got to move forward...

...That don't sound like much fun...But once you drive a Ranger, the other vehicles become #2...

Grandparents are still looking for a Ranger for me... but I'm thinking about a color change for the Explorer in my free time... I like Burns look with the "flat green" style... I like my flat black but I"m seeing so many more vehicles with it now.. I'm a huge Virginia Tech fan so I'm thinking of flat burnt orange. Probably do it in stages over the x-mas break or spring break in March.

Well... guess it's time to let you guys in on my little secret...

THUNDER REBUILD!!!

The Explorer has been sitting for a year while I've been in automotive school, and I'm going to try and convince a few family members that as a graduation gift (I graduate in December) to help fund an Exploer Engine Rebuild. I'm excited!!

Plans are to turn this thing into a weekend fun mobile. Gonna go completely opposite of what I've been wanting to do with it, so here is EVERYTHING I'm planning on getting done to it to make it my weekend warrior:

Engine
-Complete removal, teardown, and rebuild.
-422 Comp Cam and associated components (still reading through the Creager thread)
-Probably put headers on last, or if I can get the cash up to get a quality set.

Transmission
-Since it only has about 70k miles on it and it's sat for a year, I'm just going to drain it, replace the fluid/filter and probably install a shift improver kit to it and ride out.
-Also probably gonna replace the torque converter because of the cam and engine modifications

Suspension
-Going to lift as needed to fit 33" tires, but I'll go suspension lift as I hate body lifts...I figure I'll need:
-At least a 3" all around, I'm still reacquainting myself with the forum, so I'll update this area as I figure the cheapest/safest way to lift without causing to many issues.

Interior
-Going to TRY and fix as many electrical issues as possible. I would preferably just like to convert the windows and doors to manual instead of electric, but I may have to stay with electric and just replace everything so it works properly (switches for instance, motors still work as far as I know).
-Carpet: Thinking about removing the carpet and rhino lining everything, not positive yet... I may just try to dye the carpet black so it doesn't look so filthy
-Seats, Gonna try and find a good seat of Edge seats that I can make fit for the front seats and just keep the rears, or have them upholstered.

Exterior
-I'm not too worried about the exterior, I'll sand down the bad areas with sorry paint and just respray black primer. Paint is overrated, I like my primer :)

Wheels/Tires
-Gonna keep the stock rims and go with 33x12.50, maybe 31's, all depends on what I'm feeling but I would LIKE to have 33" tires just to have some fun with. Not gonna do any offroading as my X is 2wd, but I'd still like to be able to use it to get to a campsite or something.

LETS GO!

Back