01 sport - 4.0 SOHC STS turbo charged (Project complete) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

01 sport - 4.0 SOHC STS turbo charged (Project complete)

4.0 SOHC turbo charger project

Guys - I'm done....well, almost (you know how that goes)

I've drove the truck around today very safely and all I can say is wow...I love this and I'm very glad I did it. I'll have to say I went thru a lot to get this far and lost a few buddies along the way. :(

I'm gonna try like heck to get you guys some videos soon but right now I need to chill cuss my wife is pissed. I've been working on this truck when I should be working on the house, but oh well. blah blah blah.

I've got the boost at around 5 LBS and that's where it's gonna stay until I can get the MAF, injectors, and fuel pump in. Oh yeah, I'm running the 73MM C&L housing and stock injectors and pump. Anyways, I'll be changing those out and tuning the thing out pretty soon - I can then take her to the track and see what happens.....

This is what I've been wanting for two years now so I'm a little excited that it's here now. Not trying to make a drama thread here but I'm happy to join James in the STS 4.0 SOHC circle. Now let me see if I can out run him? :p:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Intake pipe coming from the intercooler, and where the 3" to 3-1/2" transition occurs.
DSCF0039.jpg

And here's the turbo location. I'm laying beneath the drivers side door to take this shot. In the background you can see the frame support plate.
DSCF0040.jpg

Exhaust entering the muffler.
DSCF0041.jpg

Y'ing a duel outlet muffler back into a single.
DSCF0043.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

If I could get my lazy neighbor to take a vid of the truck.:p:

Yes - I'm going to dyno it but I'm tuning it and have a bit more to go before I can do this. Don't hold your breath.

I would like to thank my Neighbor for all the help he gave me on this. He know's what I went thru to get here more than anyone else cuss he see's it. He also sees that I have a two storied add-on in process so I'm not making excuses when I say I'm extremly busy - That's why it took me so long to get this done.

That's coming along nicely, now you are enjoying the results.

I know about that area on the sides for the frame, why don't you close off that section for the air filter. Make some aluminum plates to close that side in, lead the opening for the air filter to below the rear door. That distance would keep almost all debris from reaching the filter.

BTW, for that filter, do you have space for an air filter that is about 9.5" wide, 7" thick? Amsoil makes several large universal versions that may fit well there. Hunt a filter with part number 4510, the inlet is 4.5" with a 10" length, oval in shape. I am about to try their 4091 version, because it has an offset inlet. For me it should fit in the stock air filter location, maybe. It's more expensive though, so go after the 4510 unit, that's the favorite for big dodge turbo trucks. Night,

Get some vids and pics. What muffler did you finally end up with? This is one area I am considering changing. My truck is just too damn loud, the Dynomax race bullet I use essentially does nothing. I am considering a Hooker (I said Hooker,lol!)Aerochamber. Is your truck loud,tolerable or just have a mellow tone? Curious....:scratch:

What?!?!? Your truck is too loud??? So it's not normal to hear your exhaust more clearly than your words when we talk on the phone?

James - I'll try and get you a sound clip of this muffler. If you like a nice growl, but not overly loud, I think you'll like this sound. It has a nice tone to it.

I still need to figure out what exhaust tip I'm going with.

CDW - thanks, I'll look at that part number. I think I can fit a bigger filter on this. By the way, that is a 3.5" intake pipe going to the turbo.

Another note - I'm not dumping the wastegate back into the exhaust; it's dumping to the atmosphere when open, so it get's a bit louder when open. I'll end up doing something here but I'm not sure. Dad want's to put a motorcycle muffler on it? Wonder what that'll sound like?

Okay - First thing I want to change is the wastegate dumping like it is. It's too loud when it opens and I want to be able to hear what the heck is going on. I think I have two options and I'm not sure of the second one.

1. Go back into the exhaust with the piping and flex coupler.

2. Purchase the STS dump pipe that has the muffler in it.

Which way should I go?

Another thing - I've heard that the 4.6 2 valve NGK TR6 plugs will interchange with the 4.0 SOHC and that it is a true one step colder plug. Can you guys give me some vehicles that use this motor?

Thanks,

I can't help but drool a little bit when I look at your truck. Great job.

How much was the kit from STS?

Thanks.

The kit I got was the Stage I kit and it was around 2 grand (a little under) It came with the proper sized turbo, wastegate, oil pump, fittings and flanges. All very good quality stuff. There's a guy in here that can help you more than me - Rocket5979

Okay - First thing I want to change is the wastegate dumping like it is. It's too loud when it opens and I want to be able to hear what the heck is going on. I think I have two options and I'm not sure of the second one.

1. Go back into the exhaust with the piping and flex coupler.

2. Purchase the STS dump pipe that has the muffler in it.

Which way should I go?

Another thing - I've heard that the 4.6 2 valve NGK TR6 plugs will interchange with the 4.0 SOHC and that it is a true one step colder plug. Can you guys give me some vehicles that use this motor?

Thanks,

My wastegate dumps back into the exhaust pipe, so the noise goes out the rear. For plugs, I recommend Champion 304 Copper plugs. I guarantee you will be happier with them. Gap at .030!;)

My wastegate dumps back into the exhaust pipe, so the noise goes out the rear. For plugs, I recommend Champion 304 Copper plugs. I guarantee you will be happier with them. Gap at .030!;)

Well, I went ahead and ordered motorcraft coppers. I'll gap them at .030.

I believe I'm going back into the exhaust with mine too.

bug reports..

Well, I had a few problems come up. I would think that after all the planning I did that I would have got it right...nope.

1) the pipe where my BOV was located was a little too close for the tire to clear on a hard turn to the left. - I fixed; re-routed to give about 3" of clearance at full turn.

2) The PVC system....hmmm, I couldn't seem to get any check valve to do right? The one supplied with the STS kit didn't work; I bought another that I heard would work but that failed to. I'm now running with just the valve that vents to the air when 1# of boost is reached. It seems to like this way so I'll keep it like this until I have a problem.

3)The oil filler cap leaked just a little. I replaced with another and it started leaking a little to. I put an extra o-ring on it as a band aid but I think I'll get a cap made out of aluminum with the right oring groove in it to seal right.

4) Tuning - My AD counts were varying by 50 points. I reworked the intake and got it down to 35 points. I was able to get the MAF curve right for part throttle pulls but still waiting for the final tune when the injectors come in. (just got around to ordering.)

5) I had a few people question the "going thru the frame" thing that I had to do so I'm going to rework this and just overbuild the heck out of it. I would rather be safe than sorry and my gut feeling told me that I needed to "overbuild" this from the beginning. That's sort of what an engineer does. He designs things for the application and alot of times doesn't overbuild to keep cost low. In this case, overbuilding is a very good idea. Also, I wouldn't recommend anyone trying to go thru a frame like this. I was set to place the turbo here so I did what I had to do. Hopefully it will pay off once I start get real data from the track and dyno. I mainly did this because a front mounted turbo USUALLY makes more torque than a STS mounted turbo. A front mounted turbo usually make a little more power as well. This is exactly why I did this.

More torque from a front mount? Interesting... I made 450 lb.ft torque from 2200-4400 rpm with no less than 400lb.ft from 2000-4800. HMMM! I also shut my truck down currently(due to problems-which I am working on) at 4800rpm and made 360whp. She was still pulling strong. An interesting note is I feel it would have went an easy 450hp! This was on an extremely conservative tune. Just food for thought is I tuned a 6.0L STS turbocharged Silverado which made 650 lb.ft of torque!

More torque from a front mount? Interesting... I made 450 lb.ft torque from 2200-4400 rpm with no less than 400lb.ft from 2000-4800. HMMM! I also shut my truck down currently(due to problems-which I am working on) at 4800rpm and made 360whp. She was still pulling strong. An interesting note is I feel it would have went an easy 450hp! This was on an extremely conservative tune. Just food for thought is I tuned a 6.0L STS turbocharged Silverado which made 650 lb.ft of torque!

Yep, that is another myth about remote mounted systems. In fact, the remote mounts run lower IAT's than conventional so they will usually pull steady with or slightly edge out the conventionals for power and torque at a given boost pressure due to this. The remote mount will take a liiiiiitle longer to spool but that is nothing a stall converter cannot take care of.

No disrespect intended here.

Let's go back to the basics. Exhaust gases flow faster when hot and near the engine. When the gases travel down the exhaust they start to cool off resulting in a slower speed. This is why you can decrease the exhaust piping as you travel away from the engine.

Can we all agree on this?

If yes, then how can you tell me that a turbo mounted where the exhaust is fastest will not result in a better spool up that results in more usable power in the range of the engine?

Again, no disrespect here and I'm not saying you can't make good power with a turbo mounted way back. Yes, it has its advantages.

That's the theory I used I was probably just "over-thinking" it again like I've been told but I'm still a firm believer.

I'm sure we can look at the stock 4.0 STS mustang results, VS the stock 4.0 Powerhouse reslults and come to the same conclusion.

The difference that Robert just hinted at is that the exhaust will be a different temperature and speed at the turbo. Obviously comparisons will be using equal boost levels. The real point should be that an equal boost will not be obtained with the same exhaust speed/temperature combination for each vehicle. You will be comparing differing turbos and exhaust temps(speed), boost etc. I see too many changing parameters in those comparisons.

The results don't make a conclusion in what I have seen, they both do very well. The remote mounted turbo has become a surprise, but it is gaining a lot of respect very fast.

It really doesn't matter to me either way. I have an STS turbo and I'm very happy with it. I would not change where I mounted it either.

Just trying to keep it real here fellows.

was going through the frame necessary? I really want to see some videos of your ex :D you have pretty much the same thing i have, have you made any exterior mods or anything...the only video ive seen of it is it burning out with no rear bumper LOL...eager to see something...

Thanks.

The kit I got was the Stage I kit and it was around 2 grand (a little under) It came with the proper sized turbo, wastegate, oil pump, fittings and flanges. All very good quality stuff. There's a guy in here that can help you more than me - Rocket5979

and the cooler?

No - I wouldn't recommend going thru the frame like I did.

I tried not to do that but my first mock-up hung down way to low. I was getting a little impatient so I talked it over with a few good friends as well as my father. We all agreed that it wouldn't be that bad but I will overbuild this part of it a little more just for some added insurance.

The cooler came from Ebay. A place called CX racing I believe?

The rear bumper is back on but it's only primed. After I get this thing running the way I want, I'll make the outside look good. (new paint, new rims and tires....ect) It's nothing to write home about right now but then again it's in pretty good shape.

Back