• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer will not start

wolfeman351

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
Howdy Ya'll. My first post here. I am excited not only to get help but to help others. I have been working on Fords for 30+ years as a hobbiest. Built a couple race cars and am restoring my highschool hot rod 1969 Mercury Cougar. Also have another 69 convetible we drive for fun. When it comes to new cars I need some education but can still hold my own (I hope).

Now, down to business.
My truck will not start and we are a one care family right now excluding hobby and project cars. Here is a summary.....

Drove 40 min to see family and the truck (2002 Explorer 4.6V8 110kmi) began to run rough after 30 minutes. Slight sputters. Been there before and thought it was likely the battery. Got to the place and turned off the truck. No reststart. Headlights were dim and no click click of the solenoid like the battery was low. We had radio and dash. Purchssed new bat at Autozone and had old one tested. They said it was dead and machine read replace. Put in new bat, turn key, no dice. All the electronics work but no click click. Turn the key and nothing. Cousin loaded it up on a trailer and brought us home. (Thanks Russ!!) Me thinks solenoid or starter.

Anyone want to way in? Like starter relays or fuses in funky places. No story will be refused. Never know what whacky story puts me on the right track. I have my "Chitlins" book out and am looking up the location of the solenoid and wiring for fuse links as well as the starter relay or fuse if it has one.

Here is my checklist

1. Dead battery replaced....done

2. Relays and fuses. I have my Chiltons book out and am reading another post from today with the exact same problem. I need to check fuses and relays but do not have them locsted yet. Could use some help here.

3. Starter and solenoid. If fuses all check out on to removing starter to have it tested. Anyone have a preference on replacement? Good brand vs bad brand??

4. Ignition cutoff switch. There is a switch built into the transmition that keeps the engine from starting if you are in gear. Any test procedure to rule this out?

Any and all help greatly apreciated. I will do some searches as well to get up to speed.
Thank you in advance....

Wolfeman

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Similar problem with the girlfriend's jeep liberty a few months ago. Turns out, it was a faulty ignition switch. I did the same checks as you are doing. Even removed the starter (no fun on this vehicle).

Not insinuating this is the problem....just throwing it out as a possibility.

Thanks BroncoJ. I am about to that point.

Here is an update incase anyone else wants to call in.

Thanks everyone. Here us the update

Checked the fuse and relay per the Ford factory test procedure and both test good. The next step is to test for proper voltage at the relay plug with the ignition in then turned to start. If the voltage is good then the solenoid/starter (one piece system now) is the only part left. To test that I jump past the relay and try to engage the solenoid from under the hood old-school. Click means starter, no click means solenoid. Does not matter since they come together but it makes more sense to do the test to be sure.

Another day another test. At it again in the morning.

Glad you got it fixed! Lucky for you, it was an easy one. I can't seem to get that lucky, LOL!

Back