5spd Transmission rebuild....M5OD | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5spd Transmission rebuild....M5OD

Parts

Since you have major internal damage I would be pulling the whole trans down for a full inspection for possible bent shafts, gear fractures or case alignment problems. Used bearings are never perfect. If you are investing in new gears/shafts then it would be good practise to put new bearings in. Would hate to see your project fail because of a used bearing going south because it suffered some side/end loading during the previous damage that you can't see.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I talked to my sister, the PO of my X, and she said she had the trans rebuilt @ 150k, she put another 12k on it when she parked it I have put another 10k on it in the 2 years that I have owned it. So it has 22k on it's rebuild, and all that is NEEDED is the Reverse Gears replaced. I AM still going to dis-assemble the transmission, inspect EVERYTHING, and re-assemble.....I gotta get those metal shavings out of there....

This whole motor and trans will be pulled in the next year. I will be buying a 347 from T & L Engine Development and a T-56 with Viper Spec internals. So this trans only has to last me another 6-9 months.....

Ryan

Okay, I got the WHOLE thing dis-assembled today......Cleaned & inspected EVERYTHING.....In/output/counter shafts, Bearings, Races, gears, synchros, sliders, thrust washers, even the Case. EVERYTHING is as it should be.....so it looks like the ONLY damage I have is exactly what I said earlier....I have to wait until Tues. to order those parts. I called TB Trans in Spokane,WA. And they have EVERYTHING I need....including some USED, 'but guaranteed to be good' Reverse Gears for $25/ea.

Now that I have cleaned, and inspected everything, it's time to put it back together. Since I found that the damage was ONLY in the tail section, I can start putting the case back together. Once I order the gears, and receive them, it will just be a matter of 20 more minutes to get the thing put back together 100%.

Tomorrow I will go to the auto parts store, and buy some Black RTV, and a a few quarts of Synthetic Mercon to start re-assembly.....

Ryan

I have about 100 pictures of the dis-assembly....

I am working on a write-up right now.

Ryan

Cool, can't wait to see it. You're really tempting me into pulling a 5spd at the junkyard soon. ;)

This is SOO easy to disassemble......the only 'special' tool I needed was that gear/bearing puller I had to modify.. It's nothing....REALLY....rebuilding a FWD Automatic was more involved than this..

Ryan

This Is Great News I Have A Buddy With A M5od Thats Gonna Need A Rebuild Soon And He Is Calling On Me (although Ive Only Done Autos) But It Will Be Fun As Long As I Have Some Pics?

I have re-built a few auto's (350, 727, a Mazda FWD), but this is the first time that I have ever re-built a Manual. The most I've ever done on a manual was change a clutch/flywheel....

Ryan

okay....

Bringing back to the top...

All 3 gears came in today via UPS, took a little while longer than expected, but it's ALL here now...

I am going to the garage/shop to finish it up!.

Ryan

I'll look forward to your photo thread writeup! Avoid the temptation to rush it.... and imagine yourself as a total newbie in the process as you do the write up - do that and it should be a nice thread and a sticky!

...back from the garage....

GREAT NEWS....everything went together as planned (it doesn't ALWAYS work that way!)....Gears meshed perfectly, shifts good by just moving the sliders..

I have the 'Rebuilding' write-up almost done....the Teardown write up will be pretty simple to write....nothing TOO extraordinary with taking something apart..it's getting it BACK TOGETHER that takes some skill! LOL

Ryan

....Just took it for it's FIRST test drive.....

AWESOME....TRUELY AWESOME!

I had a little whine that my family has been dealing with for the LONGEST time (read, since the DAY it was bought!)...it was constant with speed. At lower speeds it seemed louder (or possibly just not as masked by the exhaust), My sister had the Trans Rebuilt, I chaged U-joints, drained the fluid, went to Synthetic, swapped the trans gear....NOTHING I did made this whine go away...UNTIL I did this!.

It shifts PERFECTLY into ALL gears, including Reverse. Before it was quite the struggle to get the X into Reverse. I have pics that will show WHY this was. Now it's totally effortless!

It is just a bit more smooth now....

I'll have the write-up(s) finished soon!

Ryan

Hey Ryan,
Did you ever post the write-up? It looks like I may need to rebuild my manual.... Boooo!
Karl

bump?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back