Caliper Bracket Metal Slides - Where to Buy? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Caliper Bracket Metal Slides - Where to Buy?

BuffaloXplorer

The X had to go!
Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Impala SS
Where can i buy new metal slides for the caliper bracket (where the pads rest)? A$$holes at Autozone couldn't figure out what i was looking for. What is the exact term for these little metal slides/clips? I realized that, after doing my own brakes for years, that i've never had these on my caliper brackets and my pads seem to be wearing grooves into the area.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They might come in a "caliper Hardware kit" from your local auto parts store, but the dealer should have them, as they might also be called "brake pad retention clips".

They are called Caliper slide pins and any auto parts store should have them. If you have bone heads at your Local AutoZone try calling another AutoZone to get a part #. Otherwise call a different parts place.

DeRocha said:
They are called Caliper slide pins and any auto parts store should have them. If you have bone heads at your Local AutoZone try calling another AutoZone to get a part #. Otherwise call a different parts place.

Ummmmmmm I don't think that's what he's talking about, as those are what hold the caliper to the spindle and keep the caliper from coming off, I belive what he is saying are the metal spring clips that keep the brake pad centered in the caliper, look at his quote:

BuffaloXplorer said:
I realized that, after doing my own brakes for years, that i've never had these on my caliper brackets and my pads seem to be wearing grooves into the area.

I agree that they're not called "slide pins", but while DeRocha brings up the slide pins, can these be lubricated? i've always thought i should try removing the protective boot to try to slap some lithium grease in there, but i've been weary of ripping the rubber...

BuffaloXplorer said:
I agree that they're not called "slide pins", but while DeRocha brings up the slide pins, can these be lubricated? i've always thought i should try removing the protective boot to try to slap some lithium grease in there, but i've been weary of ripping the rubber...

The caliper slide pins should be lubricated with "Disk Brake Caliper Slide Rail Grease" every 10,000 miles else you'll get premature rotor wear with our heavy trucks. Don't use regular lithium grease or NLGI-spec grease--those greases will destroy the rubber over time. AutoZones carry Caliper slide grease in little packets that you can get for something like 30 or 50 cents a piece. One packet is about enough per side.

Sorry my bad...I was focusing on you calling them slides, hence my response. Are you talking about the brake caliper Spring clips that hold the pad in place?

They sell those rubber protective boots individually at dealers here in Canada, you can also get them as a hardware kit with 2 slider pins and boots per wheel. They were pricey here in Canada, it was something like $56.00Can per wheel, so I just bought the boots instead like under $5.00 each.

DeRocha said:
Sorry my bad...I was focusing on you calling them slides, hence my response. Are you talking about the brake caliper Spring clips that hold the pad in place?

Those are the ones...thanks

I was doing front brakes on my sister-in-law's Neon and i am now wondering...just how far should the piston travel when letting off the brakes? When she applied & released the brake, the piston slid back in less than 1/4-1/2". I would assume that this is enough, ensuring that even more pressure is not necessary the next time they're applied, but after i finished, i drove it a while and noticed a bit of sticking (as soon as i let off the accelerator, the car started to slow as if the brakes were still being applied). I ask, not only b/c of her car, but i've been expecting to have to replace my calipers b/c i thought that they're not letting off the rotor enough, but if it could be only a slide pin/lubrication problem, i may be able to save $40-50 per wheel.

Looking throught the Haynes manual, what i'm talking about is refered to the "stainless-steel slippers" - which is (Pg 9-6). BUT, they also mention the "anti-rattle clip" which i have none of, either...do you think that this would be inclusive in a "disc brake hardware kit"?

BuffaloXplorer said:
do you think that this would be inclusive in a "disc brake hardware kit"?

Yes it should.

BuffaloXplorer said:
...just how far should the piston travel when letting off the brakes? When she applied & released the brake, the piston slid back in less than 1/4-1/2". I would assume that this is enough, ensuring that even more pressure is not necessary the next time they're applied...
On every care I have worked on the piston only retracted enough to relieve the pressure, thus keeping the pads on the surface of the rotor. Did you install new rotors, resurface the old ones, or just slapped in some new pads?

I purchased a Brakeware H5412b at Auto Zone which is the anti vibration clips and installed them in the area designed to hold them.

There is nothing to retract the Piston other then the elastic action of the Piston seal itself. When you take the foot off the brake padel, no pressure against the back of the piston, so the piston just relaxed and sit there.
If the brake sliders are dried up and binding, it may stop the piston from moving back a littler bit to relax the pads, then you would have problems.

but after i finished, i drove it a while and noticed a bit of sticking (as soon as i let off the accelerator, the car started to slow as if the brakes were still being applied). I ask, not only b/c of her car, but i've been expecting to have to replace my calipers b/c i thought that they're not letting off the rotor enough, but if it could be only a slide pin/lubrication problem, i may be able to save $40-50 per wheel.
I had this same problem on my Bronco a few weeks ago. It turned out to be the caliper sticking on the slides. Cleaning and lubing them solved the sticking. I had never paid much attention to lubing the slides in the past, but found out it's very important with brake work. If you don't have slide lubricant available, use dielectric grease as a substitute.

what about just general purpose red grease for the caliper slide pins my mechanic said thats fine

92Blu, GP grease will work for a while, but it won't last. You really need something that won't wash out, or break down with heat. Caliper slide grease is best, of course, followed by dielectric grease. The dielectric is sticky and unaffected by heat, and is similiar to the slide grease. I've also used anti-seize compound on them in a pinch, but wouldn't recommend it because it also won't last very long.

Disc caliper slide grease and dielectric grease are the only approved grease for the slide pins. These are silicone based and won't attack/deteriorate the rubber boots.

Bendix refers to the hardware as Caliper abutment clips. Most "good" pads sets include these, but a hardware kit would likely include what you need. Ask at the autoparts store to have a look at one of the kits.

1st gen and 2nd gen calipers have completely different slide pins.

I just found the remains of a disc brake hardware kit that I bought a while ago. It had the rubber boots, silicone grease, rail slides (or slippers) ,and the spring slide that pushes on the pads from inside the caliper. It was a Carlson H5624 disc brake hardware kit (made in USA). I bought it at a local chain store called CAP (consumer auto parts) for $14. Whatever local parts suppliers you have will always be better than the nation chains for these more specific type parts. When I got my first ex I found a couple of these missing on one side or the other.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I purchased a set of brake hardware for the rear @ pepboys and it was only the caliper boots and stainless "slippers" - no spring clips of any sort. I bought a set for the front at Autozone and it was the same - much larger SS "slippers" and caliper boots and no spring clips. Both sets were around $8. I ended up getting loaded calipers due to a caliper bracket problem so i returned the hardware. Even in the loaded caliper (bracket, all hardware, caliper & pads) there were no spring clips. Are we all talking about the same YEAR Xs????

Thanks for the assistance.

Back