Oh, the money you`ll blow
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
British Columbia
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 4 dr 4x4 manual XL.
Hello fellow Explorer enthusiaststs!

So my boy has custody of the Explorer now.
He was out earlier in the year and she died. I went there and it seemed as if the fuel pump wasn’t powering, but it would crank, with spark.
We had to get it towed home and then it immediately started, then didn’t anymore.

We read on the internet that the check engine light should come on when you turn ignition on, and it does not do that.

We thought maybe it was something to do with the ignition switch, and replaced that, then cleaned up and pretty well redid all the wiring connections to battery, in case there was some sort of grounding issue somewhere..

I’m not sure if this check engine light not coming on with ignition is an indicator of some other problem, but I did confirm today the fuel pump does not seem to power up when ignition is on?

The next step will likely be to replace the fuel pump, assuming it is just a fuel pump problem, but if anyone has any troubleshooting ideas I am missing here, I’d sure appreciate it. It’s a bit confusing, lol.
Want to get out on the trails with my boy 😔

AB24373D-C9FD-434C-B596-65242BF26964.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There's some relays, fuses and an interia switch, have you ruled them out?

Check fuel pressure if possible so you do not replace the pump strainer and filter just to find out it wasn’t the pump

Test the electrical signal to the pump

When you first turn the key the fuel pump should prime for 1-2 seconds
The pcm relay will energize and then the fuel pump relay will click and prime the pump

The computer controls the pump by grounding the fuel pump relay
The power to the pump comes from a fuse, travels through the relay, then through the inertia dwitxh and then back to the fuel pump via a few harness and connectors

The easiest way to determine if the pump is running is remove the fuel fill cap
Put your ear to it
Have someone turn the key
Listen for the pump to run
If it runs this rules out a power issue
Next step is to check pressure at the rail
If low pressure inspect fuel filter and plan to replace the in tank pump

The check engine light should illuminate when you first turn the key to on”
If it does not then the bulb is likely out
Start there

You can also do a simple spark test to make sure the pcm crank sensor cam sensor and ignition is all working

Then there is the 50/50 test while cranking try some ether
If it catches and fires up for a second you know it is not spark and you have a fuel issue

It looks like the check engine does not light unless cranking, then lights up.
I do not believe the pump is priming when ignition first on.
I’m kind of suspecting the fuel pump as being the culprit but the check engine light thing is confusing.
Thanks for info, I will have a look later today with this info in mind.

It looks like the check engine does not light unless cranking, then lights up.
I do not believe the pump is priming when ignition first on.
I’m kind of suspecting the fuel pump as being the culprit but the check engine light thing is confusing.
Thanks for info, I will have a look later today with this info in mind.
yes sir, checked inertia and swapped relays

Ok so we tried Ether, and she ran for a second. I’m really thinking it’s the fuel pump, but we are going to research what prong has power when it is getting juice to run. We did check that connector near pump when this first happened and I recall one of the prongs being hot -lighting test light, but I assume one of the other prongs would need to be hot for that prime to happen, so we would have to test while turning ignition on and off? -we only tested it with ignition on.

Back