Front brakes wearing fast | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front brakes wearing fast

JoeW

Reaction score
City, State
San Marcos, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
I purchased mt 94 4WD EXP about 6 months ago and realized the front pads were scorched and disentegrated. I replaced the calipers and pads about 4 months ago and the pads have already worn completely away. One of the rotors is toast. I checked the back brakes and they look brand new.

I bled all the lines when I replaced the calipers and greased the pins well when I installed them. I also bled them again over the weekend and I am getting fluid to the rear brakes. I'm to the point I think I need to take it to Ford but thought I would check with you guys first. Is there a proprortioning valve or does ABS take its place? I am leaning toward there being air in the ABS system. Could this be a result of that?

Get used to it. 91-94 brake systems are horrible...nothing less, nothing more. I changed pads every 3 months and rotors once a year on my '92.

weebo,
Well in this case it seems the front brakes are doing all of the work, which should not be normal, and therefore repairable. What efforts did you go through to correct yours, beyond replacing pads and rotors? Did you ever have Ford look at the ABS?

I've actually been quite pleased with the brakes on my 93. The front pads were replaced by a dealership right before I bought it. I don't know what kind of pads they used, but other than creating quite a bit of brake dust, I like them. They have a little over 50,000 miles on them and haven't warped the rotors, and still have good pad left. I clean and grease the slide pins every 10,000 miles or so, and so far have had good luck. Maybe I'm just lucky, as I have read a lot of bad things from other people with 91-94 explorers.

Back