Late Upshift from 1st to 2nd - 97 Eddie Bauer V8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Late Upshift from 1st to 2nd - 97 Eddie Bauer V8

J

JCMAC

I have a 97 Eddie V8 AWD Explorer which I like very much, except that I have become fed up with the consistently higher rpm shifts out of first grear and into second gear that are rarely less that 2500rpm at a very conservative throttle setting. I have test driven a couple of other V8 explorers and they behave the same as mine.

Question one, does the PCM control the shift RPM of the transmission, if so why did Ford select such a high shift rpm, its not as though the motor can't handle second gear...

Question two; If the PCM controls the shift speeds then does ford have a revised program the could be downloaded to the PCM. Also, why does the tranny take so long to respond to a downshift request at low speed (to go from 2nd to first).

Are does anyone know if there atermarket or other solutions available.

Thanks!

John

John, yes your computer controls your shift strategy. One possibility for the "late" shift is because Ford assumes a certain number of owners that opt for the V8 will be towing... you would tend to get better towing performance by carrying some extra RPM before upshift. While certainly not everyone will be use the V8 Explorer for towing they must compromise the shift strategy (among other things) to satisfy myriad of drivers, uses and driving conditions. This "middle of the road mentality" will no doubt leave some performance on the table. One solution is Hypertech Power programmer which allows customers to adjust shift points to their tastes. These are my personal views and opinions and I may very well be wrong. Good luck

Back