• Register Today It's free!

Lift

FitzMatt

Reaction score
City, State
Santa Clara, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XLT 4x4
Does a 3in body lift make the truck as high as a 3in susp lift? How do they differ in looks and performance?
I'm thinking about going with the 3in body lift cuz its cheaper (and 3 is the most you can get right?). What are the biggest tires I can fit on that?

And just for a comparison, about what size are the stock tires? ('92 XLT)

Thanks again guys'gals,
Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

stock size should be 235/75/15 around 28 inches tall

all a bodylift will do is allow more tire clearance.

a susp will also allow more clearance and most of the time will improve suspension travel or articulation

they will both raise the truck either in functionality or looks and allow bigger tires

the truck will also get higher by going to the larger tires. this is the only way to improve ground clearance

31's are going to be the largest you can fit without cutting..The body lift does exactly as it says, lifts the body off the frame..It will give your truck more of a boxy feeling when driving, it will tend to"roll" and dive more when cornering and stoping..The suspension lift increases the amount of travel between the axle and the frame or body..There are pros and cons to both setups..One of the reasons I put the poly bushings on my truck was to help control the body sway and roll.. If you do not plan on up grading the bushings and shocks you should probally stick w/2" due to your inexperience with four wheel drives and high profile vehicles..Learn your truck, go out to some of the meets and talk with the owners..Remember, this is a high profile vehicle and anytime you raise the center of gravity, you encrease the chance of roll over..I'm sure there are members in your area that would be more then happy to take you out and let you experience the unstableness of a lifted Explorer first hand..There is alot more to lifting one of these things then slapping some blocks under it..If money is an issue, buy some 30's and spend the rest on motor or exterior upgrades...Not preaching on you or anything, just want you to understand what you are getting into...If I can help further, just let me know..

Originally posted by mdrut
31's are going to be the largest you can fit without cutting..The body lift does exactly as it says, lifts the body off the frame..It will give your truck more of a boxy feeling when driving, it will tend to"roll" and dive more when cornering and stoping..The suspension lift increases the amount of travel between the axle and the frame or body..There are pros and cons to both setups..One of the reasons I put the poly bushings on my truck was to help control the body sway and roll.. If you do not plan on up grading the bushings and shocks you should probally stick w/2" due to your inexperience with four wheel drives and high profile vehicles..Learn your truck, go out to some of the meets and talk with the owners..Remember, this is a high profile vehicle and anytime you raise the center of gravity, you encrease the chance of roll over..I'm sure there are members in your area that would be more then happy to take you out and let you experience the unstableness of a lifted Explorer first hand..There is alot more to lifting one of these things then slapping some blocks under it..If money is an issue, buy some 30's and spend the rest on motor or exterior upgrades...Not preaching on you or anything, just want you to understand what you are getting into...If I can help further, just let me know..

So the bushings will make the ride a little stiffer and stop the roll? How much are those? What about the shocks? What do you recommend?

ok.. This what I recommend...Energy suspensions master kit 1st it will improve the handling of your stock unit..Then shocks, I like the Rancho rs 5000's, then do the lift, whether it be a small suspension or body..Improve the handling as much as possible before you start the lifting process..It will be safer and you will enjoy your vehicle more..

Thanks Mdrut, how much are the shocks and the Energy Suspensions Master Kit 1 gonna run me? Do I need a pro to install them (my dad is good w/ cars)?

I heard I might need to change the shackles too? What is your take on that?

Am I gonna be ok with the gears I have with the 3in BL and 31" tires?

Thanks so much for your help!!

Matt

One more suggestion for you matt if I may. You may want to go with the two inch BL, as with th three you may have stearing problems and will have to extend some lines and whatnot. The two is easier on your vehicle.

Originally posted by 914x4sport
One more suggestion for you matt if I may. You may want to go with the two inch BL, as with th three you may have stearing problems and will have to extend some lines and whatnot. The two is easier on your vehicle.

Is the difference of looks between the 2 and 3in BL worth the steering problems?? And for the brake line extensions and such, can I tell before I do the lift what is going to have to be extended or not? Maybe I should just go with the 2.

Also, with a 2in BL, will you even be able to tell its lifted (with 31in tires too)??

I also heard you can get 2in with new shackles!! What do you guys think of that?? True??

Matt

PS you guys are AWESOME, thanks so much for helping me out with ALL my questions!!!

The shackles will raise the rear, but not the front..The only way to raise the front is with either springs or spacers. www.4wheelparts.com www.wrenchhead.com www.carparts.com I have ordered from these sites with success. they are more then willing to help and answer your questions..Yes you can get 31's under it with a 2" body lift..

Mdrut,
I hear with an SOA conversion, you can get about 4.5-5.5 inches of lift?? But thats only on the back right? Can you tell me about that? How would I raise the front to compensate??

In order to raise the front over 2" you must use drop brackets and crossmembers..This is where it gets exspensive..you must drop the pivot points of the front axle, radius arms, axles..Extend your brake lines, etc.etc. You basicily change the entire front end..This is best done with a kit...There are rivots to cut, brackets to replace, springs to change, etc..And when it is all said and done, you still have to pay someone to align it..You can very quickly get money tied up in your rig..If you are just going for a hopped up street look, stay with the body..

Originally posted by mdrut
In order to raise the front over 2" you must use drop brackets and crossmembers..This is where it gets exspensive..you must drop the pivot points of the front axle, radius arms, axles..Extend your brake lines, etc.etc. You basicily change the entire front end..This is best done with a kit...There are rivots to cut, brackets to replace, springs to change, etc..And when it is all said and done, you still have to pay someone to align it..You can very quickly get money tied up in your rig..If you are just going for a hopped up street look, stay with the body..

OK so I go with the 2" (not 3" right) BL and 31" (max) tires. Should I also change the shocks? What kind do you suggest?

First of all, will anyone be able to tell that its got the 2" BL and bigger tires? Basically, is it a big enough difference (or a good enough look, or both) that its worth the money??

Secondly, will the 31s be able to fit on my stock rims??

Dude you are so awesome, I cant thank you enough for helping me out

MATT

Well, most people wont, cause the arent that intrested in cars....People who know cars, will notice....yes Matt, you can put 31x10.5x15's on stock 15x7 rims....
Pete

Oh yea, if you do a SOA in the rear, you can do drop brackets in the front and add 5.5 superlift coils or skyjacker 6in coils....More times than not, the SOA will give you 5+ in.....

Hey Matt, click on my signature, go to the lower left corner of the first page and click on bubba's...Jon has 3" body and 31's, I have 2" body/2" suspension, Jeremy has 31's stock , Jason has 9" total w/ 35's..Hope this helps..

Matt-
I have a 2 inch body lift now w/ 31's, and it has somewhat changed the appearence. It is noticable, but I am now gonna get a 2 inch suspension lift as well just for a little more height and clearence. I think this is the easiest way to get 4 inches lift (i saw your other post about wanting to lift it 4-6 inches). The body lift costs like $90 and the suspension w/ shocks is $180 right now from 4wheelparts.com (skyjacker lift). I believe that with these two lifts, you would easily be able to fit 33's on. That would definitly be noticable. Just my 2 cents.

Ok guys..2"body, 2" suspension..Here are my links..You will not do the 2" skyjacker for $180..Yes that is what the springs cost, but that does not come with camber bushings nor does it include ailignment..figure $300-$350 just to be safe.. Dead Link Removed or http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1593527&a=12136361

Mdrut-How much are the bushings?? Are they required for the lift?? I get alignments for free, so I am not worried about that, just wondering about the bushings. Thanks-

seems like I paid $23 for the bushings.. www.4wheelparts.com and yes, you do have to have them if you do the 2" Skyjacker lift..

Alright, thanks mdrut. Another question for you...did you have to extend any brake lines or your steering shaft at all after doing both lifts??? Thanks again!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Only with the boby lift, and the extendtion comes with the kit..Any thing else I can do, just let me know.The brake lines will be fine w/2" sus.

Back