Moab 2023 | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Moab 2023

Can we leave yet . . . ? ? ?
Trailer Rear Driver (MAY 23).jpg

Paul

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So, has a day, place and time been set for the dinner. I vote Thurs.

Tim
I haven't heard a peep yet, and any night works for me, but we normally do it the last night we're all there. Sounds like the PNW crew is out of there earlier this year, so Thursday might be the best. I'm good with what ever, as were there until Sunday.
Can we leave yet . . . ? ? ?
View attachment 441623

Paul
I wish I could bring my Overland trailer to this meet, but the engine mods didn't happen, and Getting 9000 lbs over the continental divide right now isn't gonna happen. I'm happy for you tho!

I'm planning on arriving Monday afternoon and leaving Friday morning, might stretch that to Saturday morning possibly. Thursday group dinner sounds good, I vote Branding Iron again since they are pretty accommodating with a big parking lot.

I do plan to bring my trail Explorer. I've been doing lots of maintenance on my trailer to drag it out with including all new suspension bushings and bolts. Just replaced the breakaway battery yesterday and will be installing a TPMS system next week to keep an eye on my tires. I took the Explorer out and looked it over pretty good a few days ago and did a few minor things to prep it.

I don't really want to do the "Big3" this year, that is a really long day! My wheeling days would be Tues-Thurs, maybe Friday if there is enough going on to justify the extra day. Still on my wish list this year are Steelbender and maybe The Pickle. I'm also up for 7Mile Rim or Flat Iron Rim again and I am still willing to run Metal Masher. I would also be willing to run the easy Hurrah Pass to half of Chicken Corners then go up the hard section of Lockhart Basin and then turn around to come back out.

I would love to attempt to "3 Wheel" this IFS 2nd gen, on Poison Spider, Golden Spike, and Gold Bar Rim one day. Those would be the hardest trails the rig could do, and might need a strap once or twice on a couple of obstacles. I have only been on those once and that was like 10 years ago, and in the FJ. No idea if they have changed or not.

Any takers?
Short Answer: Yes
1683488635119.png

(Familiar. . .?) Snapped that pic of you on the Launch Pad of Golden Spike - - May, 2013.

Think there will be enough attendees so that there will be groups heading out for different trails each day - - easy, medium, or hard. Pretty certain the new Bronco crew wants to run this set of trails, but nothing set until we leave the City Market parking lot. . . (aka: "Cat Herding"). . .

Paul

Kevin is going, not sure why he has not posted in this thread?

Short Answer: Yes
View attachment 441636

(Familiar. . .?) Snapped that pic of you on the Launch Pad of Golden Spike - - May, 2013.

Think there will be enough attendees so that there will be groups heading out for different trails each day - - easy, medium, or hard. Pretty certain the new Bronco crew wants to run this set of trails, but nothing set until we leave the City Market parking lot. . . (aka: "Cat Herding"). . .

Paul
That would be pretty cool if the new Broncs wanted to do the big 3. It's all wide open trails.

This might be my last trip out, and I really want do a few trails I never did in this 2nd gen while I can. Most of you know what it can and cant do after our last trip out, so any trails you guys think I can get out of alive, and in good enough shape to get back to the Midwest safely, I'm all in!

As far as remembering that day, heck yeah I do. Did you remember seeing this? Your cooler leaked out the back of your rig, & peed up the launch pad. LOL!

Is Kevin joining you? I haven't seen him post here since he bought the Bronco.:dunno:
As Joe mentioned, yep Kevin is coming, both with new '21 Bronco and "Abby Red" his '94 Explorer that combined his old red rig and Phil's white one. I don't FaceBoob, but think most of his activity is limited to that mode. . .
This might be my last trip out.
Knock that crap off. . . , unless you've just had your fill of us.
Your cooler leaked out the back of your rig, & peed up the launch pad. LOL!
Full disclosure, it wasn't the rig (or cooler) that peed. . .

How cool that you have the video of me taking a picture posted earlier from 10 years ago. . . ? ? ?

Still got the tie-dye(s), bringing the whole collection.
Paul

Full disclosure, it wasn't the rig (or cooler) that peed. . .

Paul
OH, God. TMI. Note to self do not get behind Paul going anywhere,for any reason. Period.

Tim

I am SSOOOOO jealous.....

Well got the trail communication figured out. I just ordered a GMRS radio from Rugged Radios. Looks like me and Flashflood are heading out either late Monday night or o' dark 30 Tues morning. Still not sure what we are bringing. Could be the Ranger or the Explorer. I guess what we show up with is what we brung.

Tim

So I have heard that we meet daily at the King Suppers in town. Is that correct? What time? Someone may just have to wake us up in the parking lot on Tues morning. Bright eyed and in need of coffee.

intravenously I may add.

Tim

So I have heard that we meet daily at the King Suppers in town. Is that correct? What time? Someone may just have to wake us up in the parking lot on Tues morning. Bright eyed and in need of coffee.

intravenously I may add.

Tim
City Market @ 425 S Main St Moab, UT 84532

It's center of town on the strip. We try to meet there around 8am and have our Drivers meeting.
We grab trail grub, drinks, and ice while there, plus they have a gas station.

I was just going over this entire thread to make sure I haven't missed anything. This post...

All you need to know is, whatever is in the rear hatch, ends up in front seat, and the other way around. Secure everything well, you'll be driving straight up and straight down on sandpaper covered rock.
...caused me to add additional tie down loops in my Explorer, in the rear and even under the rear of the front seats so I can fold my rear seat down and tie things down there. Now all that nasty weight sitting on and behind the rear wheels is centered in the middle.

I was just going over this entire thread to make sure I haven't missed anything. This post...

...caused me to add additional tie down loops in my Explorer, in the rear and even under the rear of the front seats so I can fold my rear seat down and tie things down there. Now all that nasty weight sitting on and behind the rear wheels is centered in the middle.
This rack should help, but if I’ve got that much “interior activity” going on I’m probably doing an endo off Cliffhanger . . .
IMG_1131.jpeg

But more tie-downs always better than less…

Always get a chuckle when the windshield wiper fluid starts spitting out on some of the inclines in Moab. . . , it’s a good metric of whether the climb was steep, or really steep.

Should be in town 48 hours from now!

Paul

This rack should help, but if I’ve got that much “interior activity” going on I’m probably doing an endo off Cliffhanger . . .
View attachment 441710

Always get a chuckle when the windshield wiper fluid starts spitting out on some of the inclines in Moab. . . , it’s a good metric of whether the climb was steep, or really steep.

Paul
That's epic

Paul
That is pretty much exactly the setup I'd like to get built for the back of Eddie, two drawers and a platform.
I've been having that issue with washer fluid ever since I replaced the rear hatch. I think I failed to reattach the hose feeding the washer. Whenever I am on a steep uphill incline, my fluid starts running from the top of the hatch, down the side of the door and from in front of the rear bumper. Been trying to find a place to plug the hose running to the back of the truck but haven't found it yet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back