Uwharrie 2024 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Uwharrie 2024

On the calendar. I will be there a bit earlier. I could secure a camp based on how many commits to going.

I also created a rally point on Overland Bound, beginning 8/29 thru 9/04 to overlap the weekend.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good thing the later date was chosen;

Uwharrie NF Off-Highway Vehicle 2024 Season Notice​

Alert​

Area(s): Badin Lake OHV Trail Complex, Dickey Bell TR 91, Dutch John TR 90, Rocky Mountain Loop TR 92

Date(s): Mar 29, 2024 - Aug 15, 2024

Uwharrie Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) Trails will open on April 1, 2024. The Dickey Bell Trail, Dutch John Trailhead, and the south end of the Rocky Mount Loop will be closed for maintenance/improvements. We plan to reopen these trails/trailheads by the end of July.

Oh wow, yeah, good timing choice!! I put my time in for 9/1-9/5, so if I do get that Sunday off I may tag along to help ya set up for us all.

Oh wow, yeah, good timing choice!! I put my time in for 9/1-9/5, so if I do get that Sunday off I may tag along to help ya set up for us all.
Cool, hope ya get it. I'll be heading down Thursday afternoon. I like to setup by the river and do a bit of fishing / hiking. Camp last summer before everyone else arrived...

uwharrieriver.jpg

Cool, hope ya get it. I'll be heading down Thursday afternoon. I like to setup by the river and do a bit of fishing / hiking. Camp last summer before everyone else arrived...

View attachment 451481
Man that is a sweet spot!! Looking forward to the trip! Hopefully you'll have a hand setting up then, but not finding it crazy likely I get that Sunday off so I probably will have to head up Monday, but I won't know till we get closer for sure. Gotta get my X up and running again!

Also, @DannyW I see on a video demonstrating some of the trails, a Trail Pass is required on one of the signs? How does one get said pass? Have to get it out there or can I do it from here?

Also, @DannyW I see on a video demonstrating some of the trails, a Trail Pass is required on one of the signs? How does one get said pass? Have to get it out there or can I do it from here?
Best place to get it is at the Eldorado Outpost, right near the entrance to Uhwarrie. It's a supply and restaurant (sorta) and gas station. Although not the best gas. I try to top off earlier. Their "Hi-Test" is only 90 octane. My Ex likes at least 92, 93 is better.
You should download / join the Overland Bound One app - free to join with limited features, but still pretty informative. If you do, jump to the Rally events and join the one I listed for Uhwarrie!

Ahh, I still ain't used anything higher than 87 in either of my rigs lol
Sweet! Let me go find it! Also, appreciate the info, I'll have to make to stop by for the pass then!

Ahh, I still ain't used anything higher than 87 in either of my rigs lol
Sweet! Let me go find it! Also, appreciate the info, I'll have to make to stop by for the pass then!
My OB # is 29878

@DemonMudder Don't worry, Danny and I will show you around this place. Eldorado Outpost is the best spot for passes, and they have good trail maps too (I'd recommend grabbing a spare or two, in case somebody needs one or loses theirs). Walk in the door, ask cashier for passes for # of days, they'll write them out and hand them over, and tell you where they should go on the vehicle. There's a big ol' map display beside the front door and they sell Hi-Lift jacks if you don't have one already, as well as snacks, deli foods, and basic maintenance items. Not my kind of place, but it has every thing you need.

@DannyW Since my phone got run over by a car (my dumb) I'm not actively participating on OB, but I put myself in as "Going" and will plan to passively keep tabs on your Rally Point so I can update folks here as to who's coming. Thanks for organizing the public side of things, that makes my work in this matter a lot easier.

I don't necessarily need to camp with the others, as I have two vehicles to accommodate, and don't use a ground tent. But if there's space for my convoy, I don't mind staying close.

If there's any particular trails you want to run, or show the others (depending on who attends) we'll prioritize those for the group runs. I'm just here to drive, I'm not picky about which trails or which direction. If anybody has braking concerns, we should plan to do the harder trails uphill, as downhill can be very unforgiving.

@DemonMudder Don't worry, Danny and I will show you around this place. Eldorado Outpost is the best spot for passes, and they have good trail maps too (I'd recommend grabbing a spare or two, in case somebody needs one or loses theirs). Walk in the door, ask cashier for passes for # of days, they'll write them out and hand them over, and tell you where they should go on the vehicle. There's a big ol' map display beside the front door and they sell Hi-Lift jacks if you don't have one already, as well as snacks, deli foods, and basic maintenance items. Not my kind of place, but it has every thing you need.

@DannyW Since my phone got run over by a car (my dumb) I'm not actively participating on OB, but I put myself in as "Going" and will plan to passively keep tabs on your Rally Point so I can update folks here as to who's coming. Thanks for organizing the public side of things, that makes my work in this matter a lot easier.

I don't necessarily need to camp with the others, as I have two vehicles to accommodate, and don't use a ground tent. But if there's space for my convoy, I don't mind staying close.

If there's any particular trails you want to run, or show the others (depending on who attends) we'll prioritize those for the group runs. I'm just here to drive, I'm not picky about which trails or which direction. If anybody has braking concerns, we should plan to do the harder trails uphill, as downhill can be very unforgiving.
I definitely want to do Dickie Bell from the other end so the rock garden is uphill this time. When I slid down near the end I caught my lower-driver control arm and front lift beam and drove it back about an inch. Torsion bar and all. Had to replace some parts to get the alignment back.

The attendees listed on Overland Bound app for Uhwarrie run... So far ...

108565.jpg
IV DintDobbs
110990.jpg
IV JJbyrdMember# 31669
SwyandtMember#
91637.jpg
II aka.KletusMember# 30099
86992.jpg
VII Carnage_95YJMember# 30727
87685.jpg
VII danwyandtMember# 29878
92429.jpg
V Rust ProblemMember# 41649

Updated the list of prospective participants.

@DemonMudder If you want people to call you some thing other than DemonMudder, either enter your player name here, or prepare to be for ever called whatever infantile nickname comes to mind when I first see you (don't think I won't!).

@DemonMudder If you want people to call you some thing other than DemonMudder, either enter your player name here, or prepare to be for ever called whatever infantile nickname comes to mind when I first see you (don't think I won't!).
Actual names Nick, definitely better than using that in person! lol
and finally sat around and figured out the overland bound thing. I think I joined the meet.

Don't worry, Danny and I will show you around this place. Eldorado Outpost is the best spot for passes, and they have good trail maps too (I'd recommend grabbing a spare or two, in case somebody needs one or loses theirs). Walk in the door, ask cashier for passes for # of days, they'll write them out and hand them over, and tell you where they should go on the vehicle. There's a big ol' map display beside the front door and they sell Hi-Lift jacks if you don't have one already, as well as snacks, deli foods, and basic maintenance items. Not my kind of place, but it has every thing you need.
And don't worry, I've got an app I use for maps as well, already got at least one saved off for the place. So even if we lose maps, I got at least the one! Though i definitely will have one or two paper ones. I do need to get me a hi-lift one of these days

@DemonMudder Hi-Lift isn't the only brand that makes them. I got a farm/utility jack that works in the same fashion, although I haven't ever needed or attempted to use it for winching. Sure is handy to have for tire rotations though, some thing that used to take finagling, several wood blocks, and careful positioning now takes mere minutes.

@DemonMudder Hi-Lift isn't the only brand that makes them. I got a farm/utility jack that works in the same fashion, although I haven't ever needed or attempted to use it for winching. Sure is handy to have for tire rotations though, some thing that used to take finagling, several wood blocks, and careful positioning now takes mere minutes.
Yeah, I know, something of that style though for sure, vs carrying around my 3 ton

Back