It happened again, another Explorer followed me home. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

It happened again, another Explorer followed me home.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The fill plug was Mia!?!?!? That’s crazy

So I have a sickness...😆

This will be my Daughter's first car

2001 Explorer Sport
94k original miles, One Owner.
4.0 SOHC, Manual 5-Speed

Runs perfectly, I just can't drive 2 cars at once. Hence the trailer.

View attachment 451716
Great car! Mines an auto and it got to be worn down by Washington weather but they’re amazing firsts. They feel great and run well and if you take care of them they’ll run well past 200k. Mine is at 127k right now. Biggest issue with these is if something breaks, make sure the new part fits the sport. Sometimes sites will just sell sport trac parts that don’t fit on the sport. I’ve been duped before 😭

Nice score! I keep telling myself, some day, I will have a stick.

I love me a 2-door. '99 Sport was my first car, still works, although isn't suited for daily driving any more.

Make sure the daughter understands that truck is for her alone and exclusively, and police that. I've got a funny story about that with my sister, but this isn't the thread to share it in.

9884 I believe... With a mrv-f250 amp
Shame. Those are great sounding receivers and the 9886 had Bluetooth. Made in the USA quality audio.

Once the vehicle is rolling, I shift without the clutch.
thats definitely a dying art! i could mostly get it to work out, but im not perfect at floating... i could get it decently. i wouldnt try it on a new car though (if it even came in stick)

Wrote a guy yesterday on a $400 02 sport up here in north Idaho it needs a trans w only 100k miles on it? I’m looking for a sport to be my sons first rig, he is in drivers Ed now. My dad saved a 14 Jeep wrangler 4 door to give to him if he is a good student but we all agree he cannot have the Jeep until he drives something safer and cheaper first
Funny part is my dad never gave me a car hahahaha I had to earn every $$$. I’m like why are you giving him a Jeep? Give it to me! Hahahaha

Wrote a guy yesterday on a $400 02 sport up here in north Idaho it needs a trans w only 100k miles on it? I’m looking for a sport to be my sons first rig, he is in drivers Ed now. My dad saved a 14 Jeep wrangler 4 door to give to him if he is a good student but we all agree he cannot have the Jeep until he drives something safer and cheaper first
Funny part is my dad never gave me a car hahahaha I had to earn every $$$. I’m like why are you giving him a Jeep? Give it to me! Hahahaha
once he gets a few years under his belt, naybe when he graduates? idk.

i think its a grandparent thing hahaha! and whose to say it cant go to you for a few years then down to him! those wranglers seem real nice (never driven one)

It’s too nice 2014 4 door like new w 22k miles on it. Hard and soft tops. We had the wireless ignition module go out recently… that was fun. Jeep put a wireless module between ignition switch and starter, it is used for the remote start feature. When it fails it is a dealer only item as it just be programmed. Dealer blamed it on lack of use lol I spent half a week testing the starter and relays and ignition before I decided it was the module. Towed is to the dealer, Dealer had it 2 hours and fixed it, cost $200 not bad… but a wireless ignition? Oh brother

It’s too nice 2014 4 door like new w 22k miles on it. Hard and soft tops. We had the wireless ignition module go out recently… that was fun. Jeep put a wireless module between ignition switch and starter, it is used for the remote start feature. When it fails it is a dealer only item as it just be programmed. Dealer blamed it on lack of use lol I spent half a week testing the starter and relays and ignition before I decided it was the module. Towed is to the dealer, Dealer had it 2 hours and fixed it, cost $200 not bad… but a wireless ignition? Oh brother
only 22k??? if its gonna be a hand me down its gotta have at least 100k!!!

Nobody gave me a car. I saved up and bought my own for $1300.

Mine was $3500 in 1988
it was a 1976 bmw 2002tii with the fuel injection removed and a Webber carb. It has been restored and traded in to a Mazda dealer. My dad bought a 88 rx7 turbo from the Mazda dealer and said he had a son almost 16 they called him when they got a good trade.
I saved for two years to get that sucker (I
Am sure My dad pitched in some). Of course my dad was the one paying me for chores and work.. and forcing me to save the $$$$ but still lol the lesson was learned. You want something nice earn it
I wrecked that beautiful car 6 months later
We put the drivetrain into another one that was a rust bucket. I had that 2002 until I lost my license for too Many speeding tickets

Someday I would love to get another 2002 and put a straight six and awd 325ix drivetrain. In it

Talk about fun to drive, those little “bathtub” beemers were so slick

My dad told me, if you're old enough to drive, you're old enough to pay for it. I bought an 87 Ranger from a guy that was a customer at the recycling place I worked at. I said I like your Ranger and a week later he returned and said I could have it for $1,500. I still have it and will be working on it this summer with my dad.

Nobody gave me a car. I saved up and bought my own for $1300.

I was lucky, my brother gave me his Skylark. He even gave me the head gasket it needed. No help though, the deal from my dad was I could have the car if I fixed it myself.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So small update. Changed the oil, and found some issues.

1. Sway bar link bushings are non existent. There is literally nothing there, just a metal straw is all that is left.

2. The trans was whining a bit, and I found the fill plug completely missing. At this point I drained the rest to see how much was left, and it wasn't much. Drain plug magnet looked like mud. The fluid wasn't sparkling though. So maybe I caught it in time with hopefully little miles on it like that. Filled her back up and installed a new fill plug and seems to be fine.

Passed smog no problem though.

The 5 speed is susceptable to dried out shift rail plugs. Check the top the tranny for signs of leakage. You can either silicone in the ones that are there, or replace them with Dorman steel plugs.

Back