New garage at the Horwitz house | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New garage at the Horwitz house

Since I started working on my Dodge Dart about 4 years ago, the Pumpkin lost it's home and had been stored outside. For three years the Mustang was stored outside under a cover. Since the Dart has been finished, I moved the Mustang back into the garage, but we needed more room to store vehicles so I could work on new projects in the attached garage.

To fulfill our needs we're building a 30x40 garage in the backyard for storage only, not as a shop. We broke ground on the project today getting the pad cleared of all the oleanders, piles of rock, sand, etc. Now we're just waiting on the county for our permits. :thumbsup: Unfortunately, unlike Jeff, I won't be doing any of the construction on this garage as I'm woodworking challenged;) We hired a contractor for this project.

Here are the first shots.... Nothing much to see, but I guess that's the point at this stage:D

Because of the way we have the landscaping set up around the house, we won't even be able to see the garage from the back of the house looking straight back. That's perfect as it won't get in the way of our view.

1D7_1151.jpg

1D7_1152.jpg

backyard_now.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

baseboard.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

They sell it in 5 and even 7 and 9” heights I believe
It’s called vinyl baseboard or “cove base” and is usually shipped flat, it would be a nightmare if it came in a roll!
Liquid nails holds it up pretty good the tape it comes with is about worthless and hanging it with silicon is okay but always have a few pieces come loose..

Liquid Nails Fuze it is great stuff, it will glue anything to anything.

They sell it in 5 and even 7 and 9” heights I believe
It’s called vinyl baseboard or “cove base” and is usually shipped flat, it would be a nightmare if it came in a roll!
Liquid nails holds it up pretty good the tape it comes with is about worthless and hanging it with silicon is okay but always have a few pieces come loose..

This was in a roll, but it laid out very well. No adhesive tape on this, they used Weld Cove Base Adhesive and trowled it on.

Done! Just passed final inspection. Having lunch and then finishing power washing the floor.

🥳

Coming back together...
PXL_20240418_215030402.jpg

PXL_20240418_215043135.jpg

PXL_20240418_215058549.jpg

That's great work. I'm jealous. Wish I had a lift

Outdoor lifts are pretty common here. Would they allow that by you? A neighbor just bought a used 4 post for $1500 with a rolling jack.

I'm jealous too. Laying on the driveway during the summer is miserable working under a car.

Everyone over 50 needs a lift
They are $1500-3000 worth the money and setup!!!

Looks fantastic! I could fill that space up quickly with ford trucks

My city would allow one. Now you guys need to convince my better half. I tried.

Sheri, Jon needs a break for his back before he breaks his back. Maintaining your families vehicles saves money. Parts are cheap compared to the labor required to install them.

How's that? :)

Sheri, Jon needs a break for his back before he breaks his back. Maintaining your families vehicles saves money. Parts are cheap compared to the labor required to install them.

How's that? :)
One major repair done DIY will pay for a lift these days. Working over my Fox Mustang will be my first project after retirement and I will need a lift to complete it.

He certainly does have a point. I've done one repair after another on our vehicles since the first of the year, and everyone one of them would have been easier on a lift.
Forty years ago, I was under an old car out in the field that was just high enough for me to get under. I set the world's record for getting out from under a car when I saw a bumblebee nest inches from my face. Fortunately, they weren't the aggressive kind and didn't get upset. Now, they, and all their buddies out flying around, could sting me before I could get away.

The problem is once you have a lift you want another one. I have a two post that is perfect for rangers Toyotas working on chassis and suspension and now I’m thinking a nice 4 post would be awesome for doing oil changes and drivetrain maintenance on the big trucks. Why stop there? A scissor lift outside for quick tire and wheel changed brake jobs! 3-4 lifts would be ideal hahahaha and please send $$
Up here in the north they must go inside we have a short wrenching season otherwise lol

My house plans include a two-post lift, but I'm already thinking of where a four-post will fit.

Back