Daughter Doesn't Know it Yet...... | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Daughter Doesn't Know it Yet......

Update to this thread. Sarah has been DD this little truck. She needs more towing capacity but doesn't want to let it go. The rear main seal is leaking, and the valve cover started leaking again a few months ago. I'm not fighting that thing again.

I was replacing the front pads and noticed the upper control arm ball joints were shot. After a mad scramble for parts, I located everything at Napa.

Southern California trucks are usually easy to work on, took me about an hour to remove the upper control arms and lower ball joints. 15 minutes to inspect and repack the wheel bearings. New upper control arms bolted right in. Driver side lower ball joint gave me trouble. It didn't want to seat against the flange. I had way too much pressure on the ball joint for comfort and it wasn't moving. I could almost hear my Dad say "Hit it with a hammer". I tapped the control arm next to the ball joint and POP!, sucker seated. Thanks Pops. I miss that guy. I hadn't worked on a 2wd with stamped control arms in a long time and had forgotten the old hammer trick to release tension.

It's all back together again and should be good for another ten years after I get it aligned.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update to this thread. Sarah has been DD this little truck. She needs more towing capacity but doesn't want to let it go. The rear main seal is leaking, and the valve cover started leaking again a few months ago. I'm not fighting that thing again.

I was replacing the front pads and noticed the upper control arm ball joints were shot. After a mad scramble for parts, I located everything at Napa.

Southern California trucks are usually easy to work on, took me about an hour to remove the upper control arms and lower ball joints. 15 minutes to inspect and repack the wheel bearings. New upper control arms bolted right in. Driver side lower ball joint gave me trouble. It didn't want to seat against the flange. I had way too much pressure on the ball joint for comfort and it wasn't moving. I could almost hear my Dad say "Hit it with a hammer". I tapped the control arm next to the ball joint and POP!, sucker seated. Thanks Pops. I miss that guy. I hadn't worked on a 2wd with stamped control arms in a long time and had forgotten the old hammer trick to release tension.

It's all back together again and should be good for another ten years after I get it aligned.
I am envious of those who have vehicles that have lived their lives, and still do, in the southwest. It takes out the rust issues that make those in the rust belt analyze whether putting money into repairs is a poor financial decision. You all can keep a vehicle on the road for as long as parts are available.

I am envious of those who have vehicles that have lived their lives, and still do, in the southwest. It takes out the rust issues that make those in the rust belt analyze whether putting money into repairs is a poor financial decision. You all can keep a vehicle on the road for as long as parts are available.
My 30 year old Explorer still has a rust free frame and body, and they didn't spend a lot of time with rust prevention. When I rebuilt it after the dash melted, the Ohio donor Explorer was a rusted out POS with a near perfect interior.

The Ranger alignment was done without changing the shims, so it was real close.

Rust free is a beautiful thing.

Underside of 2003 Dodge Ram.

ram_norust.jpg

I moved to AZ from the rust belt 40 years ago and I still can't get over rust free vehicles. I love it when I see an old pickup from the
'40s or '50s still being used as a work vehicle.

Underside of 2003 Dodge Ram.

View attachment 450598

I moved to AZ from the rust belt 40 years ago and I still can't get over rust free vehicles. I love it when I see an old pickup from the
'40s or '50s still being used as a work vehicle.
That is crazy clean. Even the threads on the exposed bolts aren't rusted.

That is crazy clean. Even the threads on the exposed bolts aren't rusted.
It's great, every car around here looks that good. My Grand Cherokee still looks new underneath.

Around Kingman there is yard art and old cars all over. They all look mostly rust free. I think once the house gets finished and furnished, etc., I will drive around and find a new project.

Around Kingman there is yard art and old cars all over. They all look mostly rust free. I think once the house gets finished and furnished, etc., I will drive around and find a new project.
Something diesel powered?

Back