• Register Today It's free!

dealer headaches *long*

plkdb

Reaction score
City, State
Gibsonia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 XLT
Started off with a few recalls that needed done, some weather stripping that was buldging out, and a steering wheel that was falling apart. Vehicle has 28k on the clock. Still in the 3yr/36k. Took it to the dealer to get the recalls done, they were able to do the one, but didnt have the parts for the second. Thats ok, all I expected to do that day was just get it scheduled. Also mentioned the steering wheel. Reply was we have a person come by every fri to repair them, its a common problem. It`ll look like brand new. Mentioned the weather stripping, dont worry about it, when you come in for your other recall, we`ll install new ones. Do you need to order them? No, we stock them regularly. Ok, next visit, schedule it for a friday, to get oil change, requested steering wheel replaced not repaired as I dont want to have to worry about a quick fix, weather stripping replaced, and recall done. All that got done was the recall, and the oil change. Service manager tells me oh, I thought you wanted it replaced, but I couldnt. Thats wear, and its not covered under warranty, I tried to call you, but I couldnt get a hold of you. Yes, I know, I was on a flight line all day. Did you talk to my wife? No, there was no answer. What about the weather stripping? Well we had to order parts for it? Umm, the guy said you stock them regularly, not to worry about it. We dont stock them, we had to order them. Take my truck and leave, getting more annoyed by the minute. Get home, wife says Service Manager called, she asked if there was a problem, he said no, that he would talk to me. So I call the guy back up. Tell him about what was told to me on my initial visit, that my wife was VERY capable of making a decision about OUR vehicle. Call ford customer service, they tell me after a few days of "investigating" it that I need to resolve it with the dealer, and that unfortunately they have to stand by their ruling. So.... I go back with her a day or two later, ask to see the General Manager, and the Owner. All I get is the GM, go through the story. Explain that they have a X out on the lot with 42k and the steering wheel is brand new. The guy starts trying to bs me by telling me oh they love to do warranty work, they are just concerned about not getting paid, and blah blah blah, they cant cover that. He asks if I am the original owner, I say no I bought it from my Aunt, so he uses that as a exscuse saying well we dont know how she cared for it, or who she let drive it,..... I proceed to tell him that my Aunt is even more **** then me when it comes to the vehicle. That she is a Ford Manager at her dealer, and it was meticulously maintained by the dealership. So he tells me my only recourse is to talk to the regional rep. Wont be in town for a week and a half. A few days later, I talk to my Aunt, shes been with me the whole way on this thing, and cant find any reason why they wont replace it. She says her service mgr says it ABSOLUTELY should be covered. So I take her advice, and take it to a Lincoln/Mercury dealer. Heres the neat part, they use a digital camera to take some pictures of the steering wheel, the guy goes on to tell me about how they have to send the pics over to ford in detroit and they make a ruling on warranty stuff. But the good news is he`ll have a ruling in 45 minutes! Stopped back in 2 hours later, to order the part. Getting it installed tommorrow morning! The only sucky part is they wont replace the window weatherstripping until it actually is leaking, so I still have to go back to the Ford dealer to get it replaced there. But... everythings getting taken care of under warranty as it should be. The guy from ford called me today asking why I didnt show up, and that the rep was looking for me, I just told him its already resolved by another dealership. Hes like, oh thats great! I just told him I`ll be there friday for the weatherstripping. *WHEW* talk about a lot of venting!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think my head is swimming from reading that :D. I've had similar issues with my '01, except my local dealer fixed them promptly. I really think Ford cut waaay to many corners on the '01's. Lessee...Weatherstripping around door fell apart (looked like dry rot) and was replaced. Cruise control lights stopped working (replaced wiring harness under warranty with a new style). Front main engine seal leaked and was replaced. Rear windshield washer stopped working twice and the relay was replaced twice, ball joints went bad at 26K miles and were replaced. IAC went bad and was replaced. Jack compartment door wouldn't stay shut so they replaced the latches...still won't stay shut. I think the front sway bar end links might be bad. I'm getting some clunks in the front, but I can't find anything loose/worn. Paint is waaay to thin.

I haven't had the steering wheel issue, but I covered it with a good quality leather cover when I bought the truck, so that might keep it from falling apart.

I'm buying me a 4Runner!!!

Well...I'm glad you got a good ending to all this mess. Lincoln-Mercury services tend to be better than Ford's. The people there are much nicer than the Ford guys.

Ok part one is done, just got back from the dealer for the steering wheel and it looks grrrrrreat! The best part is the one that they ordered me I think is from either a eddie bauer, or a limited, possibly a mountaineer? Its all leather, with no rubber on top of it. It feel sooo good, and the car smells great! Thanks guys, I`ll let you know what they find tommorrow with the weatherstripping. The mercury dealer told me last time they had a issue like that, they had to replace all the glass and stripping as an assembly!

Ok, you guys are scaring me. I just bought and 01 a week ago thinking that they were probably the most trouble-free of the second gen's. What's the deal with the steering wheel? I've noticed mine looks warn at 32k where my hands are gripping it the most but it isn't coming apart per say. Is this a recall problem or another worthless TSB?

For me, it was something for them to switch out under the 3yr 36k warranty. The steering wheel along the top started coming off. What I mean is its, a black piece of leather with rubber on top of it made to look like leather grain to give you grip. The rubber started coming off, it was little pieces, and those little pieces turned into a big area about 5 inches or so across the top, and small spots no larger than 1/4" here and there the rest of the way around it. I`ve seen steering wheels new in the wrapper, which this one was, I got to take it off! on ebay for 60 and up.

I`ll post the part number of the new wheel if you guys want it.

Well I went to pick up the vehicle today. I stopped in at 1:20 because I was in the area, and they told me should be ready by 5. Ok, I stopped in around 4. I didnt see it in the bay, so I went to the service desk. The guy asks me how I am, hands me my paperwork and directs me to the cashier to get my keys. I take care of the cashier and look closer at my paperwork, only to notice there are only two warranty items on there. So I go back to the service desk and then the guys goes on to tell me that oh, the ones we go were the wrong ones, they`ll be in next week. So I tell him so I`m going to be without my vehicle again for a entire day? He says thats about how long it should take. I say did you call my wife and alert her to the problem? He says I just found out about 5 minutes ago. I said and the technician didnt know until 5 minutes ago? Thats ridiculous, thats unacceptable. My vehicle was here all day, someone should have been notified. The guy just tells me I`m sorry. I say I want a rental car for the next service appointment. He tells me we dont have rental cars. I say you do for people who purchase their vehicles here. He asks if I bought it here? I say no. He says then I cant help you. I said, so your telling me because I didnt buy it from you, that I`m being penalized? I want to talk to the service manager. He says ok, and walks me over there. He goes in the office, and waits in there with me. I tell him, I can handle this but he wont leave. So I talk to the guy, and he seems just as much of a hardass. Just telling me that the parts were ordered and thats all they can do. I tell him everytime I bring my vehicle to this dealer there is some issue, and I`m never notified. He goes on to tell me about how they arent getting paid for this work. I said so FORD isnt paying you to do warranty work?? He says well we cant charge retail rates for it. He tells me he cant do a rental car, but they have a bus service. I tell him that wont work, I need to be at work, before the dealership opens. He tells me hes sorry, and they direct me to the parts counter, to find out about the parts. The guy at the parts counter is cool, he tells me that the parts will be here by monday. Ok great. I try talking to the service guy a little more, and he flips out, runs over to the service managers door and yells at him hes trying to make me argue with him, and i`m not going to!, and runs off. Now keep in mind, I`m in full military uniform, so I`m not about to argue with a civilian. If I had my gym clothes on, it may be a different story. Anyways I go out to the vehicle, and inspect it before I leave. The door panel is hanging off, and the other door is scratched inside on the paint where they pried the door panel off. I go back inside, and inform the service guy. i ask if the installed new clips on the door panel when they put it back on, he just looks at me like i`m crazy and says no, why would we? The service manager comes out and looks at it. And he finally tells me Ok, in light of everything that has happened, I`ll grant you a rental car for a day to get it fixed. His only stipulation was it couldnt be on a friday. Probably because they dont want me having it for a weekend, but whatever. So he fiddled around with the door for a few minutes and got it fixed, and told me they would repair the other door that was scratched. Fun stuff huh?

I think you need to find a new ford dealer. That one sounds like a real winner :rolleyes:. Maybe you should bring a camera with you when you get your truck so you can document the crap they do, and then send it to the regional manager.

Yeah, I agree, quit going to that dealer. They sound like a bunch of idiots.

Maybe call the DEALER himself, or write him a letter? Tell him how poorly his shop is doing their work? Or just do what the others said and switch dealers all together.

Believe me once the window seals are replaced, this is the last time I will be going there. Everything else will be handled by either the lincoln/mercury dealer, or by the next closest ford dealer. If you guys ever have ANYTHING done by the dealer, make sure you inspect the work before you even set foot in the car just so there is NO way they can dispute it if you dont take pictures. The only reason I was going there was because the lincoln dealer didnt want to replace the seals until they actually were leaking. Believe me they were close, but I would rather get them replaced before hand to prevent any other issues like a faulty door lock, window motor, etc.

WOW! I went there today and asked them to mark down any imperfections on my vehicle so both they are covered and I am covered. The guy said ok, but when I brought it in, he wouldnt do anything because it was wet. I asked him if he wanted to get a chamois, and we could dry it off, but he said I`m not drying it off. I said ok, well why dont you get me one, and I`ll dry it off. He says fine, and walks away. We walk over to the counter, and the guy trys to pick a fight with me asking for my boss`s number so he can tell him how I am, and see how perfect I am. Telling me that he doesnt appreciate me going behind his back to his boss. :rolleyes: So I told him the number, and said thats fine if you want to talk to him, gave him his name, and told him my boss knows the kind of job I do, but why your at it, why dont you go get your boss again, and I can talk to him about your attitude problem. So we go over to his boss, and I tell him what happened, his boss really doesnt want to deal with it though, and doesnt want to take sides, just kind of tells me I`m a difficult customer. To which I told him, the service that I expect from you guys is that which I recieve in pittsburgh, and it isnt that impossible for you to attain. He asks what I mean. I tell him little things, keep the customer informed, tell him whats going on with his vehicle. If parts are ordered, dont send out a card, pick up a phone, leave a msg if nothing else. The human contact goes a long way. If you bring your car in, they vaccum it out at the least, sometimes wash it. Little things go a long way. He goes on to tell me about how they arent that big of a dealer and cant do those things. Meanwhile they are the largest ford dealer in the area. I tell him about getting the steering wheel replaced, and how it should of never had to of been handled the way it did. Mercury looked at it, emailed a pic to ford and within 45 minutes had a answer that yes it was a warranty item. No arguing with anyone, no debating. The way they did it was purely opinionated. I told him you may think I`m the biggest d!ck in here, but all I want is good service. He goes we`ve had bigger and kind of laughs. He tells me about how you get more bees with honey than with vinegar...... I tell him I came in here with honey. I showed him the service paper on my car where the phone number was written. He didnt have much to say on that, just telling me no one is going to call my boss. I told him I didnt care if he called my boss or not, my boss know how I work. So,.... I finally got my rental car and left after the service manager looked over my vehicle and inspected it writing down the three things wrong with it. One of their mechanics dried it off while we were talking. I told him also about how last time I was there I didnt notice until the next day in the sun, that there were scratches on my hood assumingly from them placing the parts that they were working on, on my hood. He goes, no they were beside the car. I said well they werent there when I dropped the car off, and they were when I picked it up, so ......... I requested that they order me a tube of touch up paint instead of repairing the scratch they made last time instead of grinding through the clear coat to get rid of it. He agreed, and said he would get it ordered. Honestly its something I was planning on ordering some anyways, so its just easier this way, and I dont have to worry about the monkeys there screwing anything else up. I even folded the seats down inside so they could work in there, and not have to put the parts anywhere else.

You really, REALLY, need to report this dealer to Ford. For him to try and pick a fight with you because you complained to his boss is pure and utter bull$hit. I would call Ford everyday and complain if I had too. I'd write a letter to the owner of the dealership, contact the district rep for Ford in the area, call the Better Buinsess Bureau.

When you get your X back, go over it with a fine tooth comb, because I bet they are gonna screw it up on purpose now.

That just sucks. What dealership was it? I don't know how far you are willing to travel, but our family has never had a problem with Glenn Bush Ford in Apollo. if all else fails, try them.

Its Gary Smith Ford in Ft. Walton Beach, Florida. Wanna hear something even sadder? My rental car that they gave me is a Pontiac Vibe. :thumbdwn: Talk about a POS!

Oh man...that sucks!! The people there don't know anything about customer service and how a business works. In order to stay in business, word of mouth is very important...especially when you went through a bad experience with them.

Anyways...Pontiac Vibe isn't bad. Haha...I had a Chevy Cavalier. Now THAT's a POS. Hahahaha...

Originally posted by plkdb
Its Gary Smith Ford in Ft. Walton Beach, Florida. Wanna hear something even sadder? My rental car that they gave me is a Pontiac Vibe. :thumbdwn: Talk about a POS!

Florida? but your profile says PA?

I`m from Gibsonia, but currently living in Pennsacola at Eglin AFB, and am going to be moving soon to England. Heres todays story for all my faithful followers:

Went to pick it up today. They left two messages on our machine that it was done (this is a first for them, actual communication), but when I went to pick it up, umm, yeah, lets just say it looked good from a distance, at night, with your eyes closed. Theres a HUGE gap all the way along the bottom of the seal, the uppper front half isnt seated all the way, so its all flying in the breeze, both door panels I could slip my fingers under *easily*, and three nice scratches on the drivers side passenger door on the inside at the upper corner of the door panel in the paint, deeper this time then the last time. You could tell the service manager was PISSED this time because I think he really expected to be rid of me, but neither he nor the service advisor did anything to me today. SO.... got a new rental car again today, a nissan sentra *sigh* I want my Explorer back! I didnt care for the Vibe, but it atleast had more leg room then the Sentra. Stay tuned for tommorrow broadcast episode! Will the villians inflict more damage into our heros steed? Will our hero be able to control his rage black outs? Stay tuned!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

LMAO.... I would be pissed... Sorry you have to deal with so much BS! :D

Back