New garage at the Horwitz house | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New garage at the Horwitz house

Since I started working on my Dodge Dart about 4 years ago, the Pumpkin lost it's home and had been stored outside. For three years the Mustang was stored outside under a cover. Since the Dart has been finished, I moved the Mustang back into the garage, but we needed more room to store vehicles so I could work on new projects in the attached garage.

To fulfill our needs we're building a 30x40 garage in the backyard for storage only, not as a shop. We broke ground on the project today getting the pad cleared of all the oleanders, piles of rock, sand, etc. Now we're just waiting on the county for our permits. :thumbsup: Unfortunately, unlike Jeff, I won't be doing any of the construction on this garage as I'm woodworking challenged;) We hired a contractor for this project.

Here are the first shots.... Nothing much to see, but I guess that's the point at this stage:D

Because of the way we have the landscaping set up around the house, we won't even be able to see the garage from the back of the house looking straight back. That's perfect as it won't get in the way of our view.

1D7_1151.jpg

1D7_1152.jpg

backyard_now.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's going to look very cool when you stick your cars in there.

I'm going to need sunglasses. LOL There was very little reflectivity with the open walls.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Are you using any special epoxy coatings for the floor? What kind of paint will be used for the wall & ceiling?

I am not coating the floor.

Haven't chosen the paint yet. That's coming up.

I do not miss the days of taping drywall at all. On one 54 story condo rehab project we did over a 2 yr period, was to start each day sanding the mud, then priming the unit out. By 8am, my eyes was toast and bloodshot. Nope.... don't miss those days at all.

When texture is done, the mud application is less, and less sanding is needed. Instead of 2-3 coats, most tape joints and screws only get a single coat. Knockdown texture is popular for that reason. Job is faster with less labor time. I prefer it as I like to glaze textured walls after painting is done. Whatever you do rick, don't use flat paint for the topcoat in that shop. Texture+flat paint=dust/dirt magnet.

With new construction in the Kingman area, they are doing minimal texturing. Just enough flaws so you can see it was done by hand but mostly smooth. That's what I'm doing with my house as I like the look and feel.

Typical texture here...

We've had three homes. All have been the same.

PXL_20240328_185822086.jpg

Since there will be classic cars in there, I say do a classic ceiling.. Popcorn!

Eggshell for the paint, make sure it's got a good primer coat. Just say no to flat paint, you can't clean it.

Yeah, I really had no idea how it would be used when I built it. Once I got the first lift in there everything changed.

It is looking awesome!
If you could send your drywall guys up north about 1400 miles I have some work for them to do!! Hahahaha

Just can't get good help... He is taking off for Easter weekend and will not be back until a week from Monday. Nothing gets done this week. :(

Just want this done and them all out of here. April will be 8 months.

Just can't get good help... He is taking off fo Easter weekend and will not be back until a week from Monday. Nothing gets done this week. :(

Just want this done and them all out of here. April will be 8 months.

Around here, that's fast. Very fast.

We have a gas station nearby they remodeled. it's been sitting almost complete now for 2 years. Why? A set of utility poles need to be moved.

I've also heard that if your project needs an underground transformer, that could be up to a 3 year wait..

Around here, that's fast. Very fast.

We have a gas station nearby they remodeled. it's been sitting almost complete now for 2 years. Why? A set of utility poles need to be moved.

I've also heard that if your project needs an underground transformer, that could be up to a 3 year wait..
Thats crazy. The power company in Kingman (Unisource) can have buried power to the spec house lots two weeks after we get build permits. Water company is 3-4 weeks.

I put in a request for new electrical service about four months ago for my property. They have a site plan and are ready to go as soon as I get a build permit and drop off a deposit check for $10,000.

Just finished painting...

garage_paint.jpg

garage_paint2.jpg

All that's left are baseboards, and reinstalling the lighting. I will be using 5" tall rubber baseboard material.

PXL_20240411_235420670.jpg

Back