New garage at the Horwitz house | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New garage at the Horwitz house

Since I started working on my Dodge Dart about 4 years ago, the Pumpkin lost it's home and had been stored outside. For three years the Mustang was stored outside under a cover. Since the Dart has been finished, I moved the Mustang back into the garage, but we needed more room to store vehicles so I could work on new projects in the attached garage.

To fulfill our needs we're building a 30x40 garage in the backyard for storage only, not as a shop. We broke ground on the project today getting the pad cleared of all the oleanders, piles of rock, sand, etc. Now we're just waiting on the county for our permits. :thumbsup: Unfortunately, unlike Jeff, I won't be doing any of the construction on this garage as I'm woodworking challenged;) We hired a contractor for this project.

Here are the first shots.... Nothing much to see, but I guess that's the point at this stage:D

Because of the way we have the landscaping set up around the house, we won't even be able to see the garage from the back of the house looking straight back. That's perfect as it won't get in the way of our view.

1D7_1151.jpg

1D7_1152.jpg

backyard_now.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I think it's the third post in this thread that has some good info and comparison

PXL_20240322_022417797.jpg

PXL_20240322_022423660.jpg

The pictures look good.

Are they installing vapor barrier before they install the sheetrock?

I doubt it. This is the desert of Arizona. 300+ days of sunshine and super low humidity every year. Home construction here is not the same is it was in the midwest. I see them do many things differently.

Are they installing vapor barrier before they install the sheetrock?
That is another advantage of spray foam, vapor barrier is not needed.

Wow what a surprise this morning. I had just texted the contractor to see if the drywall crew was still on for today after the delays with the foam. Doorbell rang just as I sent the message. I saw the trailer and said you are here for the drywall, right? He said yes so I opened the gate and let them in.

Neither he or the guy driving spoke English. I asked if they needed anything from me and if they were good to go. All I got was a "yup".

They were in the garage for about 20 minutes, then I saw the truck pull out to leave. I asked "no work today" and he handed me his phone so I could speak to his boss. Turns out this wasn't the drywall crew it was the FOAM crew that was supposed to be here yesterday!

I'll tell you what, from the looks of their equipment compared to what the crew brought yesterday, I was better off with the replacement crew.

No answer from the contractor regarding the drywall yet.

Did they show up in the wrecked truck?

Did they show up in the wrecked truck?

No. It was an old beater Chevy. No apparent damage to truck or trailer. I finally spoke to contractor who told me they never got back to him to tell him they were going to show up today which is why he hired another crew.

Plot thickens... LOL

Drywall guy did show up today at 9:30. He spoke broken English, but at least we could understand each other. Other than on TV and in the movies I never heard a Mexican say "aye carrumba". He was looking at the overhead lights when he said that. I knew that was going to be an issue for the drywallers. Today he just checked the job and left his trailer with the scaffolding. Leaving the trailer was a good sign that he WILL be back tomorrow. LOL

They definitely have their work cut out for them with the lighting, and working around the lifts.

No. It was an old beater Chevy. No apparent damage to truck or trailer. I finally spoke to contractor who told me they never got back to him to tell him they were going to show up today which is why he hired another crew.

Plot thickens... LOL

Drywall guy did show up today at 9:30. He spoke broken English, but at least we could understand each other. Other than on TV and in the movies I never heard a Mexican say "aye carrumba". He was looking at the overhead lights when he said that. I knew that was going to be an issue for the drywallers. Today he just checked the job and left his trailer with the scaffolding. Leaving the trailer was a good sign that he WILL be back tomorrow. LOL

They definitely have their work cut out for them with the lighting, and working around the lifts.
How those guys can wear those stilts while lifting drywall over their heads is well beyond my talents and abilities.

Geeze man
It’s hard to find good help!

Are those overhead lights led or fluorescent? Just curious
Did they get wired to outlets or do the drywall guys have to install those too? Hard to see in pics. Any overhead fans going in?
I’m the dude who always gets to install the overhead stuff hahahaha after the contractors Leave.

Since the lights are still up, I'm assuming they are going to drywall around them. The previous owner did that in my garage. When I changed them out for LED's I had to patch a the 6' long holes.

Since the lights are still up, I'm assuming they are going to drywall around them. The previous owner did that in my garage. When I changed them out for LED's I had to patch a the 6' long holes.

No, they took them down and ran the wires down through the drywall. It added a lot to their work load. They are still out there. About 45 minutes ago the ceiling was about 90% complete and the walls were covered from cross braces at the 8ft level all the way to the ceiling.

Today's progress...

PXL_20240324_005610000.jpg
PXL_20240324_005646335.jpg
PXL_20240324_005740246.jpg

Why didn't you install recessed light panels or spot lights?

Because I already spent the money on the fixtures when the garage was built. This finishing project was expensive enough. LOL

Good to see they did the right thing.

Wow, big surprise. The crew showed up this morning to finish the drywall. I didn't think they would be here until Monday.

I've seen a drywall crew use a paint roller to apply the compound to the taped joints. They did a large commercial office space faster than I could do a cable install for the internet and phone service. Now I wish I had watched their technique closer.

Back