Solid axle on a 98? lizardtrac | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solid axle on a 98? lizardtrac

Twin D-60's / 98 sport - - Lizardtrac

lookin for some ideas. Im doing a swap with a dana 44 with f-250 ends, I might need a little insight on this, has anyone ever done one of these new ones? hmm that would be cool... being the first... any warnings, insight, or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

chris

Change in plans, twin D-60 are goin in.... much stronger, and more reliable for what I want to do with the truck, I think the 44 will snap axles too much.... pics soon to come!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks man, i was thinking of doing the SOA with the mono, but moving the blocks from the bottom to the top to get 3-4" instead of the 5-6", i don't like the shackles sticking out in the rear and an add a leaf makes it really rough with my RS5000's, thats why i was thinking of this, what do you think? or am i risking breaking something like this

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Yomie, your not really risking breaking anything, there is no load difference, just the fact that the axle is below the leafs instead of on top, you will however have to watch out for the break lines, they might need to be extended, and the sway bar might have to be removed, I took me sway off to get max. artriculation, and ill tell ya, I got some awsome flex in my X, in the rear atleast for now, I mounted the shocks to the stock sway bar holes, I reversed the factory shock mounts from side to side and flipped em. it came out better then I expected.

Cool thanks for the input! I will let you guy's know what comes of it!

good luck, and make sure you watch the break lines, test with the truck under some flex to see how the break lines hold up.

How are you going to do the steering?

steering? im rippin out the stock rack and puttin a chevy box and pump in.

Originally posted by lizardtrac
chevy box and pump
Well we now all now what will be the first thing you break on the trail. :p

Why a steering box? R&P is so much better.

Is rack and pinion possible to use on a solid axle? I thought you had to use the pitman arm setup to control the steering on the axle.

Good point. But then again, if you're fabbing up so much couldn't it be made to work?

john, the rack steering only has a limited amount of travel (up and down) b4 problems happen, with the box, it will be unlimited, there is a way to do it with the rack, I believe. mounting it to the axle, but makes it vulnerable to impact, the box is the way to go and is highly recomended by ppl that do or did a SAS.

What about that rock ram steering system?

I mounted the shocks to the stock sway bar holes, I reversed the factory shock mounts from side to side and flipped em. it came out better then I expected.

Hey Lizardtrac, could you take a pic of this mod, I have seen pics of your web site... your flex is great!! awesome man!! I was planning to mount the shocks in the sway bar mounts but with spring unde axle, but after that pic, maybe some SOA will be considered.... do you have any closer look???

Thanks in advanced!!:bounce:

here ya go,... just snapped it.

Attachments

• soa1.jpg
    soa1.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 841

the drivers side

Attachments

• soa2.jpg
    soa2.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 720

WOW!!

Hey man that was quick!! thanks!! I'm thinking of doing the shock mount mod after I get my tires, as I said before maybe with SUA, just maybe...

When you did this mod? are you sure about the mounting holes?? are the holes strong enough to get a heavy off road trip??

Another question... do you have any side view pic of your X? I just wanted to see the difference between the front and the rear of the truck... I know that now the rear is higher than the front, but maybe I can handle that...

THANKS!! THAT WAS REALLY QUICK!!:eek:

I dont have a side view pic yet, its dark here so it wont come out so good now, the front is about 4" lower then the back, its not that bad, the holes in the rear for the shocks willhold up, ive been off road many times with it like that, along with many 2 hr trips to and from PA. ill try to get a side view pic up soon.

Sway bar mount bolt holes

The point is, Springs over the axle! the shocks are to long to make them fit on the upper hole, so I have to mount them at the lower hole. After some flexs, I decided to mounted them back at the original hole, and try it again, the flex is about the same.

I realized that the springs, get max articulation and the shock don't, so we are talking about revolver shackles here...then I will mount them back at the lower holes, that will show all the lenght of my shocks!! I have seen some toyo with revolver, they flex almost like lizardtrac's X but with springs under the axle...

Sorry if I'm being anoying, but what about the side view pic??

merry christmas oso_polar, this is a bit more tilt then usual due to extra weight in the front

Attachments

• sideview.jpg
    sideview.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 695

Thanks again...

It looks like springs over arched or something like that, maybe I can handle that look!!:eek: and if that give that articulation, woo hoo!! with that articulation, you can get on places with 4 wheels on the ground instead of loosing power with one wheel on the air, I dont care if the front dont have that travel, but with the rear it will certanly do, after I get my tires I will take this mod!!

Thanks again for the pic!! it look awesome... merry christmas to you too...

Would you please send my an email with the parts that I will need to get the SOA done??:cool:

Back