thinkin bout thrownin in the towel and goin solid | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

thinkin bout thrownin in the towel and goin solid

Mud Bug 94 goin solid?

I got a dana 60 flat top,high pinion,with 4.10s and a sterling 10.25 with 4.10s both complete with stock tires and wheels too. I paid zip for the pair and figures id throw um in and beat the snot out of my high mileged explorer till the motor swap comes. i came up with a design for the leaf spring hangers i just want an opinion on them thanks for lookin. - Joe

the front hanger....
frontspringhanger.jpg

the rear shackle hanger/crossmember.....
frontshacklehanger.jpg

edit, the spring width is 39.25" not 30.25"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the only things out their for the sterling that i found so far was ARB,and lockrights...not even a spool....im gunn either weld the spiders or buy an ebay lockright....i think I need to join an f-350 forum or something....after market availability fot the sterling sucks but its worth it strenght wise....as for the dana 60, ive beeen looking into the eaton electric locker($600) i think only prob is its also a posi...i could take out the clutches tho ...idk im guna run open rears and 3.55s until i get the money for gears lockers and tires....unless im mistaken, with the sterling, their is only one carrier...so i dont think i will need one but the 60 needs a carrier...so ill go a full case locker...im loosing my mind..some one help me out...

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

i think the e-locker is a limited slip when their is no power to lock up the clutches.

There is someone on this board that had an e-locker and they said it was great.... when it was working......

can't remember who it was. I want to say Jefe, but don't hold me to it.

oheboy has one and I believe he loves it

I should look into it. If it is the same cost as a detroit and it is selectable, that might be a good option for myself. I was over on pirate and in the aussie locker thread, they are supposed to be out with the d60 35 spline soon, but they have been saying that since some time in 2005. apparently it is out of R&D, but hasn't made it to manufacturing yet.

edit: went to eaton's site and the e-locker is electromagnetically powered, and it is an open diff when not locked. maybe i am talking about a different e-locker than you are? i'd like to know where you found the $600 selectable locker because that sounds awesome.

Jefe had (in the D44) the Detroit ElecTrac which is the L/S TrueTrac with the e-locker on top of that. He had some problems with it, but like you said, when it worked he really liked it.

ox/arb the 60, weld the sterling.

I would go on pirate and ask guys who actually run the etech in 60's and find out from them.

got some free tires and wheels...36x15x16.5 Dick Cepeks on 16.5x10 outlaw II's the tires are bald but will do fine untill i get money...ill get pics tommorow hopefully. I also found out some thing interesting... with 3.27s and 32s i get odd mileage(suprised?)...8mpg around town and 25mpg on the highway...i run 80-85mph at 2000 rpm and i dont hit overdrive untill about 65mph............i almost wish i had to commute...

Ok so i got some pictures of the big D 6-0...it fell off the jackstands while i was changing the tires and damn near killed me...first the tires and wheels i got for free
DSCN0635.jpg

DSCN0642.jpg

now the width, flat top knuckle....
DSCN0636.jpg

DSCN0644.jpg

now the stock drag link...
DSCN0639.jpg

now the reason my leaf springs have to be 36.5 inches apart...
DSCN0640.jpg

DSCN0641.jpg

...any body got any thing to say....? good or bad i wanna know....

Can't go wrong with a 60. Just have to swap out the drums for discs.

jackstands suck for holding axles. I've dropped one of my axles off a jackstand once or twice..... very scary. i've got pipestands with v notches holding my good dana 60's, and my 44 and other 60 are on the floor. Did have them on jackstands, but its not worth it. If the jackstands are spares, look into welding v nothces out of flat stock onto the top so they cant roll, and widen the base. except for the stubby short side tube, it looks just like my d60. good luck man.

do you have the calipers and everything? couldn't see them in the picture. I spent about $230 after core deposits on my front brakes. my rear brakes (chevy rotors and calipers were $210 and i didnt even have core deposits.) those massive 2 piston calipers are expensive, and i think we need a f-350 master cylinder to run them.

the dana 60 does need calipers...they are $50 each as well as the rotor I need....I already have pads and the one rotor is new...the thing you said about the master cylinder is true...its worth it because 1 ton brakes on a 1/2 ton is gunna be awsome.. http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/c-301 ...has good prices for stuff...oh, Josh C...what do you mean this is out of an 88...its got discs..

i believe napa has a better price for master cylinders. Since i have to get a 91-94 steering box anyway, i think i will just pick up a master cylinder from a junkyard. You know of a reason why that would be a bad idea?

get the f'er sandblasted, and dunk the smaller parts in a electrolysis solution

Josh C...what do you mean this is out of an 88...its got discs..

My bad dude, i just glanced at the picture and the rotor with alittle bit of rust on it looked like the outter rim of a drum. Good deal then! :thumbsup:

get the f'er sandblasted, and dunk the smaller parts in a electrolysis solution

I was just gunna wire brush is and use that rubber undercoating stuff.....thats what I did to the 8.8 and the 10.25....

get a master for a 76-78 f350....its $20....

Alright...Im gunna be a loser and tally up my what i paid/need to pay for my sas...
Dana 60-$0.00
1 Rotor-$50.00
2 Calipers-$100.00
1 Pinion seal-$20.00
4 U-Bolts-$32.00
Sterling 10.25-$0.00
Brakelines-$7.34
4 U-Bolts-$32.00
2 Wheel cylinders-$20.00
Tires 36x15x16.5-$0.00
Wheels-4-outlaw II's-$0.00
78 F350 master cylinder-$20.00
Misc metal-$50.00
Total-$331.34

seriously look into building an electrolysis tank, it is very cheap and is worth its weight in gold. I dont know how I lived without it before.

Back