Solid axle on a 98? lizardtrac | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solid axle on a 98? lizardtrac

Twin D-60's / 98 sport - - Lizardtrac

lookin for some ideas. Im doing a swap with a dana 44 with f-250 ends, I might need a little insight on this, has anyone ever done one of these new ones? hmm that would be cool... being the first... any warnings, insight, or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

chris

Change in plans, twin D-60 are goin in.... much stronger, and more reliable for what I want to do with the truck, I think the 44 will snap axles too much.... pics soon to come!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Things have been at a stand still here for a while, still tryin ta close on our new house, and just a whole lot of other BS. Im still tryin to get all the pieces together that I need, I did, however get the new 35's and new rims on, what a difference that is..... here is what the truck looks like now:
truck2.jpg

I have pretty much cut away the whole front end, and started welding on brackets for the swap and other things as well. Being that I have to drive this thing at the same time as the swap it makes it quite difficult and also that I have to move everything about 2 hrs west of here in a week or 2. I think Ill have this done a week or 2 after I get into the new house with my huge garage.

Ill keep you all posted!

How the heck did u fit 35's? What did u do to the back of the front wheel well? Did you just take everything out also?

Veeeeeeeery carfully..... lol.. I just cut out about 3" from the rear of the front fender..... they fit great... even under extreme turning there is no rubbing.

That thing is looking BAD ASS!!!

I'm jealous:bounce: :bounce:

can you get a close up of what you cut to fit those 35s? :D that pic is still IFS right? would they fit with the plastic bumper?

thx

maybe it's just the perspective shot.. but the front looks about level with the back in that view. how did you get that accomplished? it looks like its still ifs up there..

nice lookin X

Yes it is IFS up front, heres somewhat of a better picture, from the side

truck1.jpg

close to level....

Great lookin ride Lizardtrac!

Was there any cutting or welding to do with the spring over axle conversion?
I read somewhere that you are going to the Ford 9" rear diff. Have you done that yet? Or are you still running the 8.8" rear?

Thanks for being a pioneer with the newer Explorers. :D

Thanx....

just had to weld the new pirches on the axle, noting other then that. I didnt put a 9" in cause the 8.8 is just as strong... im thinking bout puttin a d60 in the rear

Just found this one!

This is great, I was planning on starting this in a year or sooner just depending on how things go. So it will be great to see someone else do it.

I didn't, I just became "Elite" last night.

That would be sweet if we could change them! But it is probably one of those things that either everyone can have or no one can have. And it is probably a way for us to only use approved pictures instead of ones we may use elsewhere like this one:
spongebob.gif

speakin of avitars... i gotta change mine soon.... this ones gettin old

Axle Swap Done...

HI!! I just upload the pics to my computer, but I can't post them rigth now, if someone offers to post the pics, I can send them by email, I really want you to see CHOLA's EXPLORER, he just swap the axles, the transformation began two months ago, but it is finally done, today he paint the transmissions and put in the shocks, that thing is a MONSTER.

He used 82's Jeep Wagoneer transmissions 4.10, a bronco steering box, toyota springs, toyota shakles mount, and a lot more of money, he spent about 1500$ for a really GOOD job, I have flex shots, but the front shocks are limiting the 92 cm of articulation (axle to fender)

Come on Lizardtrac!! I wanna see your X with that lift!!

SWAP!!! SWAP!!! SWAP!!! SWAP!!! SWAP!!! SWASP!!!

I tell you that **** is awesome!! :eek: PM or email me for the pics, I think my tires will have to wait, I really want that swap now!! :eek: Someone with elite explorer status PM me please to post the pics, or I will have to become a member ...;)

Any news?
I am hoping my truck doesnt have to be a ginnieu pig.
I plan to do a solid axle in my 2000 after my 5.0 project is finished.
there is a guy on rangerstation that has a solid axle in a 99 ranger but the links to the pics dont work. If anyone has pics of that truck please post them here or email them to me at jaysend@att.net.
For my set up I plan to do a high pinion d44 with bilstien 7100 series coilovers, wristed radius arms and for the steering either going high cross over or full hydraulic.
In the rear going to just change the bolt pattern on the 8.8 and get some new leafs and bilstien 7100 shocks
I am thinking 4.88 gears, detroit in rear, ox or arb in front. and who knows what tire size. I should be able to clear 44s if I wanted. I think I will go around 37-39 unless I can keep it lower as I only want 35's.
Of course This would be a year at least. I just finished getting all the parts for a 5.0 swap! However after I have a 5.0 and solid axle front and a few misclaneus things I might actually be finished with the truck.
oh wait there are a million ways to supe up a 5.0, nevermind stroke it supercharge it.........

basically I am ranting because I want to keep this post alive. I think there are a lot of us who really want to get rid of the ifs but are afraid to be the first.

I am not necesarily affraid of being the first, just have a few things I need first (I already have the wife talked into it, although she isn't thrilled):

1) house with a garage
2) a daily driver for while the X is in-process
3) time and money... (since I am starting grad school next week)

:confused:

Back