• Register Today It's free!

What should I do now?

93_Exploder

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Eddie Bauer 4.0
So I went out with my friend to have some fun in the mud with my X. I put it in 4 High, crawled a bit to have the hubs engage, and dove in. By the first time I wanted to turn, BAD clicking started coming from my front drivers side hub so I got out of there and on to the road as soon as I could then after listening more, assumed it to be a bad auto hub (which I have been having problems with on and off) and planned on getting a manual conversion. Well got it home in 2 wheel obviously and with the conversion kit. Got the passenger side done fine, but when I got to the drivers side, there was a LOT of fluid coming out of the front diff. This is what I got to find:

100_1790.jpg

100_1795.jpg

Then with some closer examination I found the horror of my missing drivers wheel u-joint which you can also see from the last picture:

100_1793.jpg

My cry for help is what should I do to fix it? I have been going on and off about selling the truck since I'm only getting 13 MPG when baybing it and I drive to college and back every day. I haven't had time to do any research on this yet since I just found out about 4 hours ago. I want to keep this cheap yet safe/reliable still. Is the best option to tear apart one of the many 4wd explorers in the local junkyard or should I get new stuff or what? Please help me in any way you can and tomorrow I will report with any new information I have.

Thank you
Alex

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah looks like you'll have to go to a junk yard and pull a pair of inner and outters. i wouldn't go with the u-joint from the junk yard tho .. u-joints are cheap and easy enough to replace.

i have zero experience with the TTB setup but, after looking at the images you've posted, it appears that the fluid is also all over your coils - not just the differential and the axle. are you sure the fluid is coming from the differential? it looks like the fluid is coming from somewhere above the axle and in the engine bay area.

on a side note, here is what an otter looks like.. this isnt what you are looking for at the junk yard- what you want is an "outter" :thumbsup:

otter-home_small.jpg

As the others have already suggested I would get a junk yard shaft and install a new U-joint. (see link in my sig on replacing U-joints). You will need to remove the wheel, hub, Bearings, rotor, and spindle Just to be able to remove the axle shaft. As for the fluid It appears to be power steering related... I would assume you may have stressed out the box when the U-Joint failed. How old are your Ball Joints? If they are old and you plan on keeping your X now would be the time to replace them (since you will have removed everything all ready).

18205Removed_Spindle-med.jpg

also you will need a new inner axle seal on the drivers side, you need a puller to get the old one out. It is mounted in the sideof the diff, it can be a real PITA to replace. I use a 3 jaw slide hammer style puller to get it out, then really caarefully install the new with my hand and then a hammer and long bar.

Anytime you have the inner axle out of the diff you should repalce this seal otherwise the diff will leak.

Your leak however appears to be power steering fluid as the others have said.

This is not really a huge job and can be fixed cheap.

Thank you everyone that responded. It looks like I will be trying to get another shaft from the junkyard then on my way home, stop by napa and get some HD u joints put in. But the hardest part looks like the oil seal replacement. And was pretty sure it was the oil seal leaking because right now, there pretty much isn't one. But now that I look at it closer, you guys might be right so tomorrow morning I'll look into it a lot closer.

On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 hardest. How hard is it for a home mechanic to change the shaft and seal. I don't have a 3 jaw puller but can rent one for like 5 bucks.

93_Exploder said:
I don't have a 3 jaw puller but can rent one for like 5 bucks.
dont forget that what 410 was talking about was a slide hammer with a 3-jaw puller on one end - not just a normal 3-jaw puller.

My Chilton Manual makes it sound like the seal comes out with the axle shaft:
"Remove the old seal from the axle shaft by driving them off with a hammer"

IZwack said:
dont forget that what 410 was talking about was a slide hammer with a 3-jaw puller on one end - not just a normal 3-jaw puller.

My Chilton Manual makes it sound like the seal comes out with the axle shaft:
"Remove the old seal from the axle shaft by driving them off with a hammer"

The statement above is talking about the Inboard axle seal (used to seal the backside of the spindle). This can be seen in my earlier post. The OEM seals are rubber with a metal core, but the replacements (ex.Timkin are all rubber and slip on nicely :thumbsup: ) The problem is the diff seal which probably got trashed with the axle shaft flopping around... You will need a slide hammer (they come with puller jaws) for the spindel and the diff seal. AutoZone and other parts store have them as a free rental.

as for getting a new shaft at the junkyard, any special tools that I need to bring and how long should it take to remove the drivers side? Obviously a good socket set with a breaker bar but anything else. I'm probably going to start removing parts off my truck today but won't get to the junkyard till this weekend

So I'm in the process of trying to get my current one out and I ran into a small, yet probably dumb problem. I can't figure out how to get the speed sensor out. It looks expensive so I don't want to try things that "might" work. Here are some pics of what I'm talking about.

100_1796.jpg

100_1797.jpg

100_1804.jpg

Check out
ABS Sensor Protector and ABS Protector removal thread... Basically there are 2 bolts holding the protector in place. You only need to remove the kidney shaped protector (leave the aluminum cylinder alone as you will most likey detroy it if you look at it wrong its $$$). The smaller bolt is a 6mm 12pt 1/4" drive socket (3/8" drive is too fat and will not fit in such a small area.

410Fortune said:
also you will need a new inner axle seal on the drivers side, you need a puller to get the old one out. It is mounted in the sideof the diff, it can be a real PITA to replace. I use a 3 jaw slide hammer style puller to get it out, then really caarefully install the new with my hand and then a hammer and long bar.
You guys were awesome in helping me and I am proud to say that I got everything out ok. The diff seal was in two pieces so that wasn't too good but I got it out ok. As for putting a new one in is this about the best way or is there an easier, foolproof way. I can use a hammer and long bar if there isn't another but I don't want to wreck the seal puting it in. Then is this a time to do a drain and refill on the diff? I haven't looked yet but is it ATF, 80W 90, or something else?

93_Exploder said:
I haven't looked yet but is it ATF, 80W 90, or something else?
hehe its definitely not ATF ;)

Back