Is There Such a Thing as "Moab Rollers"? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is There Such a Thing as "Moab Rollers"?

GJarrett

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Chief GPS'um and Still Lost Native Texan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 EB 4x4 "Herc" RIP
I have looked at my really scarred-up spring perches on my rear leafs before and thought about trying to design some small rollers that would go on both sides of the lower shackle bolt and the next time I hang a perch or shackle, it would be protected and roll right off.

I have now seen a term in a magazine referring to a "Moab Roller" which as far as I can tell may be similar in concept to what I am thinking of.

Do these exist? Where would I buy them?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have yet to see a set for Explorers.. (they have them for Toyotas and jeeps).

We do however have a set of 4" wheel (steel/rubber) that I have mounted on the lower bolt of the WP shackles. Everytime I came off a rock ledge I would dig the shackles inot the rocks.. Now that doesn't happen. They wheels are bigger than I wanted but they work well..

Yolanda says it looks like I backed over a shopping cart. One idea I had was to get a bearing pressed into a piece of steel (1/2" of 3" round) and use that.. I would like to have them no only on the spring shackle but also on the front hanger.. but the shackle is the one that was digging into the rocks.

I will try to get a couple pictures of it today at lunch..

They do exist but they are a joke at the price they charge for them. What you need to do is get some heavy duty casters and basically make a mount for them to bolt through the lower spring bolt. The only problem with that is then you have a bolt that is twice as long and is getting the full weight of the vehicle at times on just one side. I don't remember where I saw these listed for sale so I can't help you there. But I would imagine you cold make some yourself.

The rollers do have drawbacks. The scraping shackles / or rear bumper provides friction between your truck and the rock. With the rollers you can get to a point where you are sliding more on the rollers than your tires the loss of traction can cause you to move very quickly into a dangerous predicament.

Gerald, remember when Colin and Tom were attempting Dump Dump, rollers could have caused them to do a somersault rather than just stopping on their bumpers. Sort of like the photos in one of the recent off-road rags that was showing the Maob obstacles. They showed a Jeep do a back flip off of Dump Bump.

Hmm... I wonder If I can add some brakes to the little wheels.. then I won't have that problem :).. So far We haven't run into that, but I've only ended up on the rollers twice.. We still hit the bumper but at least the shackles aren't running as anchors now..

Ok.. I got a picture of them (1 of them) that is on the truck.. These are larger than the ones I've seen before but they fit and work..

Dead Link Removed

Back