Elessar65's Money Pit | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Elessar65's Money Pit

Ok, well I figure its time to make a registry for my truck (translation: I'm really bored). Its kind of a work in progress, and will be forever most likely, just like the Explorer. :)
Anyways, on to the truck....
Its a 1998 Explorer Sport 4.0 SOHC, Emerald Metallic Green with Grey trim and interior. I have added a K&N FIPK, Hooker Aerochamber dual 2.5"in single 2.5" out and custom cat-back exhaust. An Xcal and tunes from BamaChips to take advantage of the free flowing intake and exhaust. 2" lift leaf packs from Carrier Spring and a TT up front. 265/75/16 (31.9" according to specs) Hankook RT03 MTs, and a Curt front hitch for a 99 (had to cut a notch in the front bumper). For communications I have a Uniden 538W in the dash with a 4' Wilson Flex sending and receiving the radio traffic. For tunes I have a Sony head unit, factory premium sound door and rear speakers, and a 10" MTX thunderform for a little bass. Also I put some clear tail lights on it after someone hit me and broke one of the originals. I just put a Richmond Powertrax No-Slip locking differential in it. You can read about that little mis-adventure elsewhere on here, but I got it all fixed up.
Well, thats about it for now I guess, Its got 174k an change on it, and still runs like a champ. The only thing I have ever had to replace were ball joints and a starter and battery.

15548_210194823792_714603792_4017360_3853258_n.jpg

16jq7pz.jpg

2j5f48p.jpg

Had to get a little dirty
34yr5uw.jpg

Limited Grip No More!
vil2yg.jpg

Gotta get that old gasket crap off
jt9h74.jpg

Crappy camera phone pics from Tuttle today:
29ur2mr.jpg

2vtcfbb.jpg

xodqbs.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Possibly, I don't have them on yet. I am a little leery about doing it without limit straps. They will definitely be on when I do the coil over setup since I'll be strapped then. :) Also I think i want to paint them, or maybe have them powder coated.

Aw coilovers I want to see this.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Ordering them as soon as I get my tax money. Actually installing them is another thing all together though, lol.

Ordering them as soon as I get my tax money. Actually installing them is another thing all together though, lol.

I think some serious testing of those coil overs will be required at tuttle, I think most of it could be installed fairly easy from what I saw, just the welding of the upper mount into the old shock housing looked to be the only set back to it.

yeah, I helped Corkey get his installed so I know how they go together and all. Just the welding I can't do myself. And I have no clue about setting up the pre-load and stuff.

Update: I am thinking i am going to somehow attempt to get a SAS done on my truck, to the point where i am gonna start collecting parts. The only thing really standing in my way is needing a place to do it at, and a semi-reliable pos to drive while its torn apart for months. And i can't weld, lol. Nothing like setting the bar high huh? Well, i guess if i end up with a bunch of stuff and no place to do it i can always sell it to someone right? SAS kit in a box. Ok, let the posting begin, fire away!
Posted via Mobile Device

Sweet! Are you sure though? I don't want to be the one ripped apart Explorer/Mounty/engine too many over there.
Posted via Mobile Device

So wait no coilovers.
I see a D44 in your future with an ox locker that I know you want a gift certificate toward:p:. What set are you thinking radius arms, 3-link, 4-link, leaf springs. Regular coils, coilovers, air shocks. Or you could be adventures and go D60 or 9in center that would be sweet. Possibly find a TJ D44 front with the factory air locker in it and get to keep the same bolt pattern.

P.s. I'll be first in line for the sas in a box lol.

Sweet! Are you sure though? I don't want to be the one ripped apart Explorer/Mounty/engine too many over there.
Posted via Mobile Device

HA ha-yeah it will be fine. I should definitley have the mounty back together and rolling before hand. It is the only non running ripped apart vehicle thingy around.

So wait no coilovers.
I see a D44 in your future with an ox locker that I know you want a gift certificate toward:p:. What set are you thinking radius arms, 3-link, 4-link, leaf springs. Regular coils, coilovers, air shocks. Or you could be adventures and go D60 or 9in center that would be sweet. Possibly find a TJ D44 front with the factory air locker in it and get to keep the same bolt pattern.

Oh goody a volunteer to help also! Sweet!

Oh goody a volunteer to help also! Sweet!

I'm all for volunteering it will give me new ideas about how mine will end up some day, that and I can work a grinder pretty good.

So wait no coilovers.

Yeah, after talking to Jon about it this weekend, since he had that setup, there is only so far you can go with the IFS, and I am nearly there now. Umm, not a link setup, lol. That would be sweet, but waaay to difficult for me to do right with my non existant fab skills. Not to mention something like that takes a lot of time to get right. Test it, change it, test it, change it, over and over. Most likely RAs and coils or leafs. I think it depends on the axles I end up with too. Leaves are way easier and cheaper, but if I end up with a donor vehicle with a RA setup already in it then I am thinking maybe just transfer everything. Obviously there will be way more to it then unbolting it and bolting it to my truck though, lol. And keeping the 8.8 I have will be cheaper obviously, and its already locked. If i end up with a full width front axle though idk know about shortening it, seems expensive and or more technical than I can do. I really like Jefe's coilover setup, but again he spent something like $8k on his swap. I am going to try and shoot for $2500. Which means I will be throwing about $3500 at it, haha. I think thats realistic. I need to start re-reading the SAS threads and making parts lists, but I really need an axle to start throwing parts together.
For right now I am planning on 35s and 5.13 gears. Then if I want to move up to 37s later I will still have the gears for it. Wheels and tires are probably going to be the most expensive thing, or one of the most.
We'll see about an Ox locker when I get there, maybe you would be interested in some IFS parts? Seriously though, I think it will be a couple months before we even start tearing down the X. I want to have everything I need, or as much as I can anyways, before the teardown begins. I plan on being pretty methodical. Minimize the down time, and the surprises and frustration as much as possible. It will definitely be a learning experience, thats for sure. But thats half the fun really. :)

I'm all for volunteering it will give me new ideas about how mine will end up some day, that and I can work a grinder pretty good.

Good, I am sure I will be needing all the help I can get! :)

Can i help? If it's not freezing cold!!

Very good idea if you have the time and cash to make it happen. For a leaf set up, check this thread out, if you haven't already.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254382

Haven't looked at that one in depth yet. Read Section525's last night. Have to check this out tonight. As for time and money, thats the real question here huh? With enough of both you can do anything, but too little of either (or both) and ya got nothing.

depends on the when, and maybe i could help, we will have to see when it goes on,
i have some fab skills, and can weld too ,

Hopefully in time for SMORR, but even I know thats probably wildly optomistic, lol. Definitely in time for SMORR 2011 though!

I am THERE for this! so does this mean no BL??

Back