Elessar65's Money Pit | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Elessar65's Money Pit

Ok, well I figure its time to make a registry for my truck (translation: I'm really bored). Its kind of a work in progress, and will be forever most likely, just like the Explorer. :)
Anyways, on to the truck....
Its a 1998 Explorer Sport 4.0 SOHC, Emerald Metallic Green with Grey trim and interior. I have added a K&N FIPK, Hooker Aerochamber dual 2.5"in single 2.5" out and custom cat-back exhaust. An Xcal and tunes from BamaChips to take advantage of the free flowing intake and exhaust. 2" lift leaf packs from Carrier Spring and a TT up front. 265/75/16 (31.9" according to specs) Hankook RT03 MTs, and a Curt front hitch for a 99 (had to cut a notch in the front bumper). For communications I have a Uniden 538W in the dash with a 4' Wilson Flex sending and receiving the radio traffic. For tunes I have a Sony head unit, factory premium sound door and rear speakers, and a 10" MTX thunderform for a little bass. Also I put some clear tail lights on it after someone hit me and broke one of the originals. I just put a Richmond Powertrax No-Slip locking differential in it. You can read about that little mis-adventure elsewhere on here, but I got it all fixed up.
Well, thats about it for now I guess, Its got 174k an change on it, and still runs like a champ. The only thing I have ever had to replace were ball joints and a starter and battery.

15548_210194823792_714603792_4017360_3853258_n.jpg

16jq7pz.jpg

2j5f48p.jpg

Had to get a little dirty
34yr5uw.jpg

Limited Grip No More!
vil2yg.jpg

Gotta get that old gasket crap off
jt9h74.jpg

Crappy camera phone pics from Tuttle today:
29ur2mr.jpg

2vtcfbb.jpg

xodqbs.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think I am gonna need one. I'm still down to help you though. :) AND i will eventually have a 4.10 front diff to get rid of. Eventually, lol.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

depends on the when, and maybe i could help, we will have to see when it goes on,
i have some fab skills, and can weld too ,

Just hide the hammers :D:p:;)

Ok, new plan. I no longer need to do a SAS, because I just bought a SAS'd 95 Ranger. HP Dana 44 front, open, 9" rear, mini spool. Stock radius arms and steering from the Bronco the axles were pulled from. 351w, C6, and NP 205 from an 86 F250. It needs some stuff done to it to turn it into a proper trail rig, but I got it for a good price, and I'm happy with it. First on the list is going to be getting the axles geared. They are 3.54 right now I believe. It needs some bushings for the steering stuff. Needs some tires to be drivable (at least safely). The 33s on it now are super old, super bald, and dry rotted. The guy I bought it from is gonna haul it to wherever I decide, for the cost of the gas and a couple bucks for the trouble. Totally forgot to get any pics of it in my excitement though, and its not gonna be delivered anywhere til next weekend. So you'll just have to use your imaginations until then.

Pics!

Totally forgot to get any pics of it in my excitement though, and its not gonna be delivered anywhere til next weekend. So you'll just have to use your imaginations until then.

i know i was messing with ya hahaha:D:D:D:D

Nice, lol :rolleyes:

nice buy, now all you need is a trailer to get it to and from the events, that will look cool, kind of like mine will, lifted Ranger being towed by a lifted Explorer.

can't wait for SMORR, ,

yeah, I think I'm gonna have to find an aluminum trailer. Idk how much the X can pull, or what the Ranger weighs. Its definitely a lot more than the 3400lbs it says on the title, haha.. I think it'll struggle a bit going uphill, the flats should be fine though. I need a name for it now too.

I want to come see it now lol, this just isn't fair all of the other Kansas guys having SAS rigs besides me, guess I just get to wheel harder.

The guy I bought it from, Steve, has another set of axles for sale. Hp D44 with a Lock Right and 4.56, and a 9" 4.56 with a Detroit. $500 for the set. I was thinking about them, but decided I would rather have tires on it then the axles. Hard to move it around when you can't drive it. :rolleyes:

So whats your apartment complex going to say about this one lol if you got in trouble for just changing your oil.

I'm not gonna be wrenching on it here. Its gonna be at my friends in Wichita for a couple weeks til I get tires on it. Then I can get it here and park it, and drive it to a buddies to turn wrenches.

hmm those axles might look good under ole Heph.... tempting with the SAS myself.

Well, since the Ranger isn't done yet, I just HAD to wheel the Daily Driver again last weekend. I beat it up pretty good too. here's a video of me at the ledges at Tuttle Creek ORV.
VIDEO
I don't know if this is where I destroyed my front diff or not, but I am pretty sure this is where I crushed and bent up the tranny cooler lines. :( I got those fixed up and re-routed out of the way today, still waiting on Levi to get back into town with my new diff though.
Other items on the carnage list include knocking off my passenger side-view mirror again, knocking off some rocker trim on the drivers side, some more pin stripes from tree branches, and numerous dents on my skid plates, front spring hangers, and the bottom of the front crossmember. :D

Well, got the old front diff out and the new one in today. Took me and Levi about 2 hours in the parking lot at the park. No issues at all, truck drives good. Oh yeah, this is why the diff was making such horrible noise while driving:
3445lj7.jpg

e0j4p1.jpg

Broken cross shaft

wow,, that is the first time i have seen that, in a front,

wow,, that is the first time i have seen that, in a front,

If you saw the way Jason drove this truck you would understand how that happened.

If you saw the way Jason drove this truck you would understand how that happened.

Haha, yeah. this thing is officially retired from wheeling now though. I am even gonna leave the front driveshaft out (till winter) so I'm not tempted. Hopefully the Ranger will be on the road withing the next month, then I can start breaking that.

Back