PCM replacement and PATS

SixBucks

Reaction score
City, State
Near Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT (RWD) 4.0L
2004 Explorer XLT, 4.0L SOHC, 150k miles
So, it is a very long, separate story, but I am looking to replace my PCM.
I am looking at Flag Ship 1 out of NY for a reman unit. Anyone use them before? Other recommendations?
They have one for about $200 without keys and about $300 that includes two new keys.
A good friend of mine has a scan tool (it just looks like a tablet) that he paid about $500 or $600 for. Should we be able to install the $200 reman PCM and use that scan tool to get it to talk to my existing keys? Does anyone know the basic steps to make that happen?
I have done A LOT to this Explorer over the last few years, but PCM/computer work is not something that I have really any experience with, so I appreciate tips and suggestions, as well as how-to.
Thank you!

Ask the friend or look up the specs on the scan tool manufacturer's website. Unless it explicitly states that it can program Ford keys, then I'd assume it can't. Forscan app for windows, free extended license trial version, along with an ELM327 based obd2 dongle can program keys. You can find more info in Forscan's forum.

I have had a couple people recommend getting a used PCM from a junk yard, rather than a reman unit. Both said they have replaced many and have had far better results with used. My only concern is that I know that mine has been updated for the attached TSB; I would think it would be a roll of the dice, at best, if the used one will have been updated or not. The reman place (Flag Ship 1) claims that the latest updates will have been loaded and it will have a lifetime warranty. If the used one does not have the update, then I would have to pay a dealer to do the update, correct?

Attachments

• Explorer-TSB.pdf
    115.8 KB · Views: 8

Back